Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query on Extra pricing... and FTTP checker

tstaddon
Rising Star

Query on Extra pricing... and FTTP checker

Currently I'm on this and almost maxing out the utilisation every month:
Extra £11.49 (60GB Usage Allowance, unlimited overnight)
Talk Evenings & Weekends £0.00
Line rental £13.99

According to the product change options, I can drop down to £9.99 per month and get a totally unlimited (contracted) connection. Has anyone at PN Towers noticed that Extra's now almost certainly going to work out more expensive than Unlimited unless the customer does not exceed 60GB in a calendar month?
I'm tempted to go for the unlimited...
On a wider point, I have a gripe about the "change my products" screen. It does not show fibre product availability for that customer. This may be because there doesn't seem to be a FTTC AND FTTP availability checker that provides accurate enough reports. The most useful resource I found was this:
http://fttc-check.alc.im/results.php?postcode=<mypostcode>
I can see from this that my line goes direct to the exchange, which currently does support FTTC but does not support FTTP (confirmed with OpenReach). So I need to wait for FTTP to become available at the exchange but don't yet have any direct way of knowing when that'll happen. So I also keep watching this space:
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefings/sffabriefings....
Just wondered, could PN possibly rig some links up to those two resources so that people can auto-check to see if their line is (a) currently capable of supporting FTTC and (b) when their exchange will be FTTP-enabled?

4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Query on Extra pricing... and FTTP checker

I wouldn't rely on any checker that relies on information leaked from BT - there's no way of knowing if it is up to date. The best one to use is http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome as that will give a definitive answer on whether it is possible for Plusnet to order fibre on a particular line.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: tstaddon
According to the product change options, I can drop down to £9.99 per month and get a totally unlimited (contracted) connection. Has anyone at PN Towers noticed that Extra's now almost certainly going to work out more expensive than Unlimited unless the customer does not exceed 60GB in a calendar month?
I'm tempted to go for the unlimited...

I'm sure Plusnet have noticed this. However upgrading to the new non-fibre products involves either contracting for 12 months or paying £2.50 extra per month no-contract.
In your case if you are happy to commit to a 12 month contract, no need to be "tempted", why not do-it? I have, and based on forum posts it seems so have many others.
David
Estragon
Rising Star

As jelv says.  Also the first of your two links uses leaked December 2011 data which is now hugely out of date.  Many more postcodes listed, and many old ones with new data. The only real use for that checker now is if your postcode is listed and you want to know your cabinet number.

A better checker is http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php
That has the same base data with later stuff from other official sources added.
Edit
my line goes direct to the exchange, which currently does support FTTC but does not support FTTP (confirmed with OpenReach). So I need to wait for FTTP to become available at the exchange but don't yet have any direct way of knowing when that'll happen
FTTC on EO lines is not supported. The solution will vary from exchange to exchange.  Some will get FTTP to affected lines. Some wil find a cabinet is installed, to provide FTTC to them.  Perhaps some will just have to suffer.
tstaddon
Rising Star

Ta for the replies.
As stated the first link was for confirming either that it was an exchange only line (dslchecker @ BT doesn't tell you that) or which cabinet(s) the line most likely runs to.
Didn't know about the http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk checker but apparently that uses the same December 2011 PCP as the source I linked to and provides more or less the same information.
The Openreach briefing I linked to gives me the ability to check when FTTP capability will be available at the exchange. I can tell from numerous sources that my exchange already has FTTC but there's no single point of reference to say when it'll acquire FTTP capability. That's what's missing from other resources.
I live a stone's throw from a BT exchange on the main street of a town centre and there are many homes and businesses off the high street which nearly all have exchange only lines.