cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query about "view my usage"

jmd
Grafter

Query about "view my usage"

I seem to have a lot of usage showing during the "free" time.  But I do not use the computer during that time - in fact it is switched off overnight.  My router is security protected.  Last night I unplugged the router and notice that there was no usage shown today 12midnight-6am.  Does that mean that when your router is plugged in you are classed as using the internet even when computer is switched off?
Therefore is it better to unplug router each night?
Also, my speed is better today.
23 REPLIES 23
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Query about "view my usage"

yes the ISP pings the router, to keep the line open, even when there is no computer present, as I found out and queried once when I came back from holiday, it was no more than a few kbits, but still its there
James
Grafter

Not strictly correct.
When you are online you are liable to "background traffic" such as time server requests, various probes and so on, which will add small amounts to your usage.
There's nothing wrong with turning your router off when you are not using it.
deekay
Grafter

Help! I'm going mad here!!
James says that 'there is nothing wrong in switching the router off when it's not being used'.
However, in another thread (Bad value for money) we are told that variations in speed are caused by the router being switched off. This "upsets" the exchange, who think that there is a line problem and so drop the speed. In order to get, and keep, a good download speed, we are told, routers should not be switched off. 
Please PlusNet, will you tell us in plain, unequivocal, non-technical language:
Should routers be left switched on all the time, or can (should) they be switched off when not in use.
Sorry, but I am utterly confused!
Many thanks
Keith
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Here say I Huh
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

There is also the "green" lobby..... If a router is switched on/plugged in all night, it is using electricity, and adding to you bill in just the same way as a t.v on standby.....
I`m just as green as the rest around this problem.... to switch off and save electricity/money    or stay on, and keep the speed level?  come on ..... lets have a proper answer on this one.
Sad
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: deekay
Please PlusNet, will you tell us in plain, unequivocal, non-technical language:
Should routers be left switched on all the time, or can (should) they be switched off when not in use.

Two conflicting questions, but in the original contexts the "conflicting" answers given are both correct. I'm a customer, not PlusNet staff but …
If you can guarantee the maximum sustainable sync speed will be obtained (i.e. no subsequent re-syncs) no matter what time of day the router is turned on then switching it off once per day will be fine - the exchange shouldn't react adversely to that. However turning it off and on several times a day might trigger an unfavourable reaction.
On the other hand, if you can't guarantee getting a sustainable sync when you turn the router on, having achieved this it makes sense to hang onto it by leaving the router on 24x7.
So choose which scenario applies in your case and adopt the appropriate answer. As I said both are right in their respective contexts.
David
zubel
Community Veteran

It depends!!
Nearly every ADSL line will exhibit overnights drops in SNR.  Some may only vary a small amount, but some may vary by a large amount.
Sometimes, this SNR change can cause a resync event.  Too many of these can cause your speed profile to drop.
Of course, some ADSL lines will only suffer a small SNR drop overnight, and others will suffer a larger one so it is very dependand on your individual line conditions.
HOWEVER
During the training period, it is a "good thing" to teach your exchange about the quality of your line, so it is recommended that you reboot your equipment at least once or twice a day.
HOWEVER
Some lines, (particularly those at the extent of ADSL service) may actually suffer when you reboot the router, and the sync speed may actually creep up a little after a reboot as the exchange uses DLM to improve your conditions.  For these types of lines, it is usually better to leave your router on for as long as possible.
HOWEVER
Some routers can actually 'clog up' with connections, (for example for those users who use P2P style applications).  This can exhibit itself with symptoms such as slower and slower performance, through to a complete lack of connectivity with certain applications.  Obviously, in these cases a reboot can be very useful!
So really, it very much depends on your personal line conditions as to whether it is desirable to keep your router on, or turn it off.
One thing I will say, is that *frequent* reboots are a Very Bad Thing(tm).  More than four or five resyncs in an hour is almost definately going to make the DSLAM adjust your speed profile.  Reboots in moderation Smiley
B.
coastergrotto
Grafter

I switch my router off for 16 days when I go away on holiday.  As soon as I come back and switch on I check my speed via Connection Settings>High Speed broadband, then run the BT Speed Tester followed by Speedtest.net.
I have never suffered a drop in speed yet.
shutter
Community Veteran

Huh  SO!  to summarize then........... I use my router from about 8am to midnite, then go to bed.....
SO..... If I unplug/switch off at going to bed, when I switch on/plug in again next morning, my speed will not suffer?
If this is the case, then my bank balance won`t suffer either.  Grin
jmd
Grafter

I am so glad other people are as confused as me........ a clear and precise answer from a Plusnet person would be beneficial.........
I was told that I must leave router one by one of the staff when I raised a ticket about slow speed.
I still do not see why I should show such a lot of usage at night though when I do not use computer and it is switched off - it must do a lot of "pinging" and talking to itself then!
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Regarding the router question Peter Vaughan hit the nail on the head pretty much. We will advise individuals based on line stats, and historical profile changes, this is why you will sometimes see conflicting answers.
Regarding the usage overnight, just how much are we talking here each night?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: shutter
If I unplug/switch off at going to bed, when I switch on/plug in again next morning, my speed will not suffer?

You need to take into account the proviso I made (red text):
Quote from: spraxyt
If you can guarantee the maximum sustainable sync speed will be obtained (i.e. no subsequent re-syncs) no matter what time of day the router is turned on then switching it off once per day will be fine - the exchange shouldn't react adversely to that. However turning it off and on several times a day might trigger an unfavourable reaction.

If you switch your router on again at 8AM can you be sure sync won't be lost (most likely that evening), then regained at a slower speed before it is turned off again at midnight?
David
David
shutter
Community Veteran

Presumably you mean
Free Broadband - So Where's the Catch
as that is the only red text I can see.....  my point is that
As I am not using it between midnite and 8.am. it does not matter to me  the amount of "usage" displayed..... only from the point that I, and the OP were concerned that "someone else" may have been using it, even if it is "free"....
If I am not using it, and it is not going to affect my speed, then it is sensible to unplug/switch off, to conserve energy,. save money on the electric bill, Grin  Roll_eyes  and best of all
"Save the planet" Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

A thought
I assume that you are on a wi fi router, and I hope it is secured, i.e. has got either wep or wpa enabled, it could be somebody borrowing your network.