cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query about PPPoE and 21CN

alexhulse
Dabbler

Query about PPPoE and 21CN

Having connected successfully to the ADSL2+ trial (no speed gain, but what the hell...) I've been playing!
After stumbling over a nugget of info that stated that the 21CN is PPPoE compatible, I tried connecting with PPPoE with LLC Encapsulation. It worked! Huh
The reason I tried is it lets me use my exisiting DG834G as a bridge to my PPPoE Time Capsule, which now looks after the connection happily for me. It seems to work quite nicely.
And so, to the question! Is PPPoE a BT / PN supported (or at least allowed) way of connecting? Is it even going to be the only way in the future (a post I read said that their exchange wouldn't work with PPPoA anymore, but this may have been an LLU provider)?
Hope that's helpful / interesting for someone!
6 REPLIES 6
itsme
Grafter

Re: Query about PPPoE and 21CN

Good to know. I use to run my connection this way before moving on to the trial and I will revert back after the training period as I lose the modem status page when I place it into bridge mode.
Be3G
Grafter

PPPoE is definitely a BT-supported protocol on ADSL1 (I used it for exactly the same reason - turning a Linksys router in to a bridge to use with my Time Capsule), and I see no reason why it shouldn't be similarly supported on ADSL2+, as the ADSL 'type' only affects the sync, whereas PPPoA/E relates to the actual data connection.
James
Grafter

I'd be inclined to say that if it works, it works and we're not going to stop you from connectiong over PPPoE.
However, we will always recommend that you use PPPoA.
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Just curious, but what's a time capsule?
Be3G
Grafter

This. It's a useful device - and, ironically (considering Apple aren't well known for their routers), the most stable router I've yet used.
ctech500
Grafter

Hi everybody
I was under the impression that PPoE  is the protocol used by cable based ISP's
Is there any advantage in using PPoE rather than PPoA?