cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qube Engineer made things worse

drbillsw

Qube Engineer made things worse

For the 3-4 weeks I have been getting speeds close to and below my guaranteed speed. I pay for a 36Mb/s line, I am guaranteed 24Mb/s down and should get 6-7Mb/s up.

For the last few weeks I have been getting 14-24Mb/s down, 4Mb/s up. Today the Qube engineer came changed the socket, suggested I switched the BT home hub router to the Plusnet home hub one and I’m now getting 10-14Mb/s down and 0.3-0.4Mb/s up.

Frustrating…
11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Qube Engineer made things worse

@drbillsw PN staff are unlikely to reply at a weekend so:

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Full Fibre to Broadband.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

drbillsw

Hi,

I'm not sure how to attach pictures to the topic but I have put them in my public images at the following link:

https://community.plus.net/t5/media/v4/gallerypage/user-id/113724/album-id/33946/tab/albums#.YuVpYp0...

Not sure why it is suggesting my maximum possible speed is 17Mb/s as that is lower than I have been getting for two years (30 Mb/s+) and less than I was guaranteed both times I have renewed.

I can't try the silent phone test as I haven't had a landline phone for over a decade haha.

Thanks

jab1
Legend

@drbillsw Unfortunately, those images are a little blurred, but from what I can see, I would suggest you raise a fault via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

Unfortunate you don't have a phone - it is a very useful test implement on ADSL/VDSL lines.

John
drbillsw

Thanks, is there a reason why the BTW test is suggesting my line is a 17Mb/s capable line when this is lower than the estimate the last 3 years and lower than my lowest guaranteed speed?

jab1
Legend

Yes - you have obviously had the problem for a while and the DLM equipment in the cab has tried to compensate by lowering your speed in an attempt to get some stability.

Report the issue as I suggested earlier.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@drbillsw 

The first screenshot shows that yesterday BT measured your speed at 34 Mbps down and 7.2 up. Are you testing over wireless or an Ethernet cable? Have you tried a factory reset of your hub by pushing a paperclip or similar in the Reset hole, keeping the switch closed for about 30 secs?

Do you have a static IP address?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see you're having speed issues. 

The BTW performance result is showing a maximum achievable of 17mbps, because that's what your router's in sync at. 

I've tested your line today and the tests are showing a high resistance fault as well as a "Dis In Network" which would suggest there's a disconnection or break somewhere along the line, causing these issues.

I've raised this to Openreach and I've been given an estimated response time of by 03/08/22 23:59:59 for an engineer to investigate further. We'll update you via the ticket logged Here as soon as we know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

So that 'Dis(connect) in network' and HR fault are the causes, the Qube engineer visit achieved nothing?

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

It seems that way but we couldn't have known as our tests didn't pick up on these faults previously.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

Fair enough. 😀

John