cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puzzled??????

Smufter
Dabbler

Puzzled??????

Have had my fibre broadband activated for about 2 weeks now. My initial speed tests showed that I was getting around 45Mpbs download speeds, they peaked at 50 for a short time but then dropped back to mid 40's. I left it a while, expecting speeds to increase over the first 10 days as advised, but further speed tests showed no improvement.
I left it 10 days and contacted Plusnet who were very helpful, they initially told me that I had been accidentally "profiled" incorrectly at 40Mbps, and that this would be corrected for me. Kept a check on my speeds over the next couple of days but still no increase.
Have been back in touch with technical, and was told to connect directly to my modem and take the router of the the equation to see if this helped. It didn't. Still getting download speeds of around 45Mbps.
Have had my line checked and despite being told that I am getting 76Mbps, numerous speedtests do not back this up. My speed is still hovering around the mid 40's, dropping back to 33Mbps for a short time yesterday.
Cry Cry Cry

20 REPLIES 20
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Puzzled??????

Run the BT speed test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/and make sure you do the Further Diagnostics after the initial test to determine your IP Profile.  That will tell you whether you are running at 76 Mbps or not.  Also check your Plusnet Profile.
If you are using a wireless connection to the router, try a wired connection for better speeds.
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Morning Smurfer!
Sorry to hear that you're experiencing jumps up and down in speed.
I've just ran a quick test on your FTTC circuit and indicates that you're synced up at full speed to the cabinet. Your profile is at 78Mbps on both BT Wholesale's side and ours. I'd certainly suggest trying to use an ethernet connection if you're not already.
However, generally BT won't accept speed faults which are above 16Mbps for Fibre. but may be worth raising a fault anyway, In case there is something we can do for you.
I've seen the speedtest result you've got recently which came to about 44Mbps However, this test is from the 22nd March.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Regards,
Matt
picbits
Rising Star

As above - are you testing on wireless or wired ?
My wireless here is pretty terrible and the only machines that will download at full speed are the wired ones.
Smufter
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies. I am connected via Ethernet cable. I have run the test without the router (connecting directly to the Openreach modem) and it didn't make any difference whatsoever. Still showing a speed test result of mid 40's. I have done the further diag check on the BTW website and it too shows I am profiled at 76Mbps. At a loss what to do here???
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

What speed did the BT test report?
Smufter
Dabbler

Just this second carried out another one and it's giving 49.08 download, 15.70 upload, Ping 33.13
Smufter
Dabbler

Another one.....53.23 download    16.20 upload  25.25 ping latency
Smufter
Dabbler

Now 48.5
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

How old is the device you are using to run the test?  Do you have another computer/device you could try instead?
Smufter
Dabbler

My PC is not that old to be honest. Good spec too! I'll run a test on the wifes laptop
Smufter
Dabbler

Well that wasn't so good! 13Mbps....... Shocked Shocked
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hey Smurfer!
Don't do any more tests, if you've saved that 13Mbps test on the BT Wholesale page, that will be classed as a "Fail"
Go ahead to http://faults.plus.net and raise a speed fault Smiley
Regards,
Matt
Smufter
Dabbler

Hi Matt
a speed fault issue has been raised mate, and is still on-going. I carried out the test straight to the Modem on Weds night, got an email from Plusnet support yesterday suggesting I try a speedtest connected straight to the modem. Been done, and no luck.
AndyH
Grafter

Are your speeds varying at different times of the day (i.e. lower at peak times)?