Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proximity to exchange query

ajax
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Proximity to exchange query

Just out of interest what are the implications for broadband speed (if any) from being closer to the exchange than to my nearest green cabinet?

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Proximity to exchange query

You have posted this in the broadband section. If this is the case then forget about any green cabinets. If you are on fibre the speed will depend on the distance to the FTTC cabinet to which you are linked.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

That depends on whether your line is connected via the cabinet or directly to the exchange.

Just because you are closer, it doesn't mean you speed will be better. I assume that's what you are asking?

You may be close, but your line could still be served by a green cabinet.

ajax
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I'm not on fibre and I don't now have any problems with speed. It's just a general interest query, which is heightened by your statement that you can be connected directly to the exchange rather than via the green cabinet – which is news to me. Since a recent problem was solved by replacing a corroded junction at the top of the telegraph pole near my house I assume I'm connected to the green cabinet in the next road. 

A direct fibre connection to the (closer) exchange would presumably be the ultimate, but I guess this is not available to the common man – or is it?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Enter your phone number in the following link. It'll tell which Exchange your connected to and either which cabinet or as an Exchange Only line.

As a side effect it'll also tell you what's available internet wise.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

How you are locally connected has little to do with how you are actually connected.

Normally users are connected via a green cabinet.  The connection between the cabinet and the exchange is known as the E(xchange)-side and between the cabinet and home the D(istribution) side.

There are though also Exchange Only connections in which there is no green cabinet, the line goes direct to the exchange.

Both EO and d-side circuits can go via a PDP (pole distribution point) so there's no assurance that a DPD means via a green cabinet.

Generally FTTC cannot be applied to EO lines.  BTOR have to insert a cabinet somewhere on the line for the fibre connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ironically, being close and connected directly to the exchange means you can't get fibre (I believe). So sometimes being close is not a good thing.

In your case, from what you've said sounds like you aren't and yes you want to be on a cabinet as close as possible to the exchange and your line length to the cabinet too.

Put your landline number into the BT Wholesale checker and see what it says is available.

By direct fibre I assume you mean FTTP. See what it says on the checker.

If your number comes with On Demand - you can translate that to "Yes you can have it, but you'll pay the installation costs which will be a four figure sum". Ouch. Shocked

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Alex wrote:

In your case, from what you've said sounds like you aren't and yes you want to be on a cabinet as close as possible to the exchange and your line length to the cabinet too.

For clarity here, with FTTC, it is only the distance from the cabinet (and quality of d-side - think cross talk) which has an impact on speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.