Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profiles question

RossStrachan
Grafter

Profiles question

Hi all,
I'm trying to understand about profiles and my FTTC service, this is driven from me noticing that my upload speed had dropped from about 11-13Mbps during the first month to about 7Mbps now - the service was started ~9 months ago.
Running the BT wholesale speed checker gives the results below.
My naïve analysis is that the currently exchange equipment thinks I should be able to get 36.7Mbps/10Mbps and that something is limiting this. Is this where the PlusNet profile comes in?
Is there anything I should ask for BT or plus net profile resets etc?
All help appreciated - still getting my head round this. I realise my results are not devastatingly poor 😉 but as I work from home a lot the faster the better both up and down.
Thanks for looking.
Results
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed 34.52 Mbps
0 Mbps 36.78 Mbps Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 34.52 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is  20 Mbps-36.78 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 36.78 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed 6.95 Mbps
0 Mbps 10 Mbps Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 6.95Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps
Ross
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Profiles question

Basically the upstream IP profile is set by the product you are on - in your case 40/10 - and not by the upstream sync speed
So you are not being restricted by the profile
The part which is confusing is that in order to have got the higher upstream sync speed at the beginning you must have been on the 80/20 product and it must have changed subsequently and I am not aware of that happening normally
When you first had fibre were you getting a higher downstream speed
The reason for asking that is that speed normally reduces due to cross talk as the FTTC cabinet fills up and I would have expected both to have reduced not just the upstream
Were those speed test results wired or wireless
RossStrachan
Grafter

Hi
These speeds are wired - I also see the same speeds wireless, router is near my laptop.
I have the FTTC Up to 38Mb/19.5Mb product - though I bought it when it had a 40GB download limit :-< the interesting thing is that while my upload speed has gone down 12ish down to 7ish my download speed has gone up ~30ish to 36ish on a good day. The profiles have changed over time too they were 33/16 at one point.
I guess I am reasonably happy with the download speed - I would like the upload back up just for the extra peace of mind - I do a lot of Lync meetings - screen shares and remote desktoping so better upload helps a lot.
Confused
Ross
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I am confused
If you bought the 40/10 product you will still be on 40/10 unless you specifically changed product to the 40/20 unlimited
The BT Speedtest shows that you are still on the 40/10 product
RossStrachan
Grafter

OK double checking the emails from last year.
I got the Plusnet Essentials Fibre with 40GB d/l limit - to correct myself I cannot find an "up to" speed for the product in the emails or the product archive - when I said 19.5 in the previous post I was assuming  Embarrassed
Fact remains I originally had 30ish down and 12ish up  Huh
Even so I wonder if this is 40/10 is there anything that can be done to improve the upload speed - the line is (or at least was) capable of that at the beginning?
I take the point about cross talk though, the irony of buying a service that's guaranteed to degrade as it gets more popular/affordable 😉

RossStrachan
Grafter

Bumping for PN support staff.
I had the above conversation at the weekend and wondered if you could look into it please.?
Many thanks
Ross
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Ross,
Apologies for the delayed response.
I'm not really sure how you were able to get get upload speeds faster than 10Mb as you're currently on the 40/10 product, unless the Speed Tests gave you some strange results (I'm on 80/20 and apparently I get 23Mb upload via Wireless) so I don't read too much into that.
I've attached your line stats for your visibility. The line speeds may have dropped ever so slightly due to a few errors on the line, however, I think it might have been a suspect speed test result previously which may have caused some confusion. You're obtaining speeds faster than your estimate and your line looks pretty healthy so I wouldn't say there is much wrong with the connection.
RossStrachan
Grafter

Chris,
Thanks for the response. I'm not convinced that it was dodgy speed tests - I had > 10Mbit up originally (9 months ago) on multiple devices (wired and wireless) using three different speed test sites (BT, TBB and OOKLA) ...
I agree that DL speeds are higher than the estimates though, my question was more about the upstream speed.
Next question, if I move to 40/20 when my contract is up will I get better upstream speeds?
Thanks for the stats though and even though I had some outages in the first couple of months I have to say I've been completely satisfied since 🙂
Cheers
RS

tonycollinet
Grafter

I don't think you have to wait until the end of your contract to upgrade.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Given that your present upstream is 8.1Mbps then it is very unlikely that you will see any significant improvement when moving to 40/20
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

But he will go from a 40GB allowance to unlimited.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Yep - agree with the replies you've had since. You'll go onto an Unlimited service and we'll uncap your upload to the 'Up to 20Mb' on the upstream but I don't think you'll see much of an improvement speed-wise unfortunately.