cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile dropped, connection reliability issues?

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Profile dropped, connection reliability issues?

After some sluggish browsing I have checked my PN profile to find it has dropped from 1.5 to 1.25M. I don't know when this happened as I last checked it some time on Friday mid morning, but at that time I had a sync speed of 2.5Mbps.
My connection appears to have had some random disconnections in the past week or two, which I suspect is due to Openreach digging up the pavements to install fibre cabinets.  Before then, I haven't been regularly checking my connection stats as typically it would maintain sync for months at a time without interruption.
Please could someone at PN check the connection records and provide some stats for the past couple of weeks?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
4 REPLIES 4
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Profile dropped, connection reliability issues?

Hi maranello,
I'm not sure there's anything conclusive there really.
Jojo Smiley
maranello
Pro

Thanks Jojo
I have to agree the data is inconclusive. However, I also have reason to doubt its accuracy. My router stats suggested a disconnection occurred around 10:20 am yesterday (Mon 12/9), which doesn't show up in the data. Also, my line was set into retraining after Adam Walker submitted an SNR reset on Tuesday (6/9), and I know there should have been a re-sync around 3pm on that day - this doesn't show up either.
The excavations around the street cabinets have now been filled in, so I think I'l just monitor things for a few days. The target SNR appears to be back at 9dB, which means a loss of about a third of my connection speed. Hopefully the line will be less disrupted and I can beg for another SNR reset.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi maranello,
Ok, give us a shout in a couple of days and let us know what you think.
Jojo Smiley
maranello
Pro

Okay, it appears that the connection has been stable and constant since Sunday at 14:45. All the Openreach vans have disappeared and the pavement excavations  filled and tarmaced. Sync rate is 1792kbps, profile of 1,25M (I was hoping this might increase to 1.5M, possibly marginally below threshold?)
I don't quite understand what the Thomson router is telling me about 'uptime', as there are three different reports. One shows the time since the last power down reboot. Under the Internet tab an uptime is reported which is consistent with the Radius log data in Joanne's post, but if I look under the DSL Connection tab a shorter uptime is reported which suggests a resync at around 10:20 on Monday. This appeared briefly in the event log but has since fallen off the bottom and I don't know how to preserve the event log. Noise margin has varied between 8 and 9.5dB, but again the event log entry for 10:20 on Monday (actually logged as 9:20 as it seems to be on GMT) reported an initial SNR of 6.5dB. Therefore I'm not sure what the current target value might be, but I'll try a reboot to see if I can get an improvement.
If anyone can shed any light on the difference between the uptime records reported by the router it would be greatly appreciated.