cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile drop after one short speed drop

paulbay
Grafter

Profile drop after one short speed drop

I don't believe this! After my problems of a couple of weeks ago and finally getting my normal line speed back eventually, things have been pretty steady. I've been keeping an eye on things and my connection rates have been between 1700 and 1800 ish each day (i switch the modem on around 8:00 am). Then today I had a disconnect at about 15:50 and when it reconnected the connection speed was down to 480 or so. After a few minutes (10 maybe?) I decided to reboot the modem and it reconnected back at its usual 1700. However That rotten BT DLM has obviously decided my line should be punished and has dropped the profile to 350! It did this within an hour or so. So, for having a connection drop to 480 for a few minutes it looks as though I am going to have to suffer days of slow speeds even though the line can clearly support higher speeds. This is useless. I know PN cannot do much about this but perhaps they can feed back to BT how crap their system is. What I need is a fixed rate line as when I was on such a thing in the past I was getting solid actual line speeds of 1500-2000.
3 REPLIES 3
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Profile drop after one short speed drop

That seems to be a common problem for those of us on the slower speed range.
If the line drops in a busy period it will connect at a slower rate. If you try rebooting for a faster connection BT will/may knock your speed down. Either way even if you leave it to the next morning to avoid the wrath of BT, PlusNet will/have to set a lower matching speed. So even if you get back to the faster line connection your speed will have to play a few days of catch up.
There must be a better less haphazard way of doing this.
Have you tried leaving the modem/router on continuously? By general consensus that seems to be best.
paulbay
Grafter

Well much to my amazement it restored to the higher profile after a few hours, so maybe BTs new algorithms do work after all. I don't think leaving the modem on all the time makes much difference - repeated frequent turning off and on might, but I'd rather turn everything off overnight - green planet, less fire risk (those modems get REALLY hot). It seems to me that if you get a drop out and reconnect at low speed it's best to reboot the modem to see if you can reconnect at a higher speed.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi paulbay,
Rebooting to get a better sync speed is always the best idea but is always advisible to use the disconnect/reconnect option on the router's homepage, this way BT's DLM will not see it as a dropped connection.
Jojo Smiley