Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Nudge & Different Speeds on WNR1000v3

nwiltshire1678
Grafter

Profile Nudge & Different Speeds on WNR1000v3

Hi.
Firstly, could somebody from PN give my profile a reset. Don't think I'm getting the fastest speeds I could be.
Secondly,
I have the WNR1000v3 router connected to the fibre router (I couldn't get on with the Technicolor router that I received when I went to 80MB Fibre so went back to the original)
To this router I have a desktop pc running windows 7, a netbook running windows 7 and a laptop running windows 8, all connected by Ethernet cable NOT wireless.
I have run internet speed tests on the desktop and have been achieving approximately 50MB speeds. I have run the same speed tests on the laptop and netbook and have only been achieving approximately 25MB speeds. Considering they are all connected by Ethernet, you would think the speeds would be the same.
The netbook and laptop both have the latest Ethernet drivers installed and are set to the fastest link possible.
Can anyone help me to increase the speed of the laptop and netbook, or give me advice as to what to do next?
Thanks.
Additional Note : When the connection was first installed I was achieving an ip profile of approximately 76MB after the line stabilized, now I'm only getting 58MB
7 REPLIES 7
nwiltshire1678
Grafter

Re: Profile Nudge & Different Speeds on WNR1000v3

I have just checked the High Speed broadband section of the Member's Centre and it's showing my current line speed is 58Mb but there is no Estimated Line Speed (says there is No estimated line speed held on my account)
nwiltshire1678
Grafter

Anyone?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The presence or absence of an Estimated Line Speed in the Member Centre will have no effect on your actual connection speeds. If you want to populate that value you can do so by logging into the Member Centre, then click Product Change on the top menu.
That will show your current product. Click the Change my products button which provides change options with speed estimates. If you now go back to the High speed broadband page you should find an Estimated line speed is displayed.
Regarding the Current line speed value - does that match the IP Profile shown by doing the BT Wholesale diagnostic test as described in the post here?
David
nwiltshire1678
Grafter

Managed to get the estimated speed in.
Have attached a screen shot of the BT Speed Test and the PlusNet current speed. The profiles seem to match. When Fibre was upgraded to 80/20 I was getting nearly 76MB speeds and did so for a couple of months, now I'm only getting this 56MB. Can the line be re-trained to get my old speeds back?
nwiltshire1678
Grafter

The speeds were taken from the windows 8 laptop. If I run the same speed test on the desktop, the speeds are nearer the profile.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The BT and Plusnet profiles do match so no problem there. Unless there's a line fault I don't think a profile reset will be possible. One can only speculate that the DLM made changes that reduced sync speed from its original level to reduce the number of errors on the line. Increased numbers of users on your cabinet might have influenced that (cross talk).
I guess half speed laptop and notebook speeds compared with desktop when all are connected to the router using Ethernet could be network card related. However others would have to advise on that. You might consider posting that question on the Hardware board.
David
nwiltshire1678
Grafter

Ok, thanks for that. I'll give that a go.