cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Refresh

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: Product Refresh

And they seem a lot dearer than PN as well.
avalon
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
Oh dear, 12 and 18-month contracts

Well they have to compete with Plusnet. Tongue
techguy
Grafter

And being a card carrying geek I tend to look at who provides an ISP's upstream bandwidth too as obviously that can have an effect on the service which was another box that PN ticked.
On that note I'm going to end my router session, put the new ISP details in and switch off the PC for the night but will pop in tomorrow to ee if there  are any updates.
pd
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
Quote from: 4Candles
Not 69·2% of exchanges surely? Do you mean population? Or properties?

It's 69.2% of UK premises.

Looking at it another way - Only 1197 exchanges are in Market 3 while the remaining 4390 are in Markets 1 & 2.  If you live in a city you're probably OK.  If your local exchange has less than 10,000 lines, 4390 of them, then you are going to be paying the higher rate.    Angry
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: pd
Quote from: Mand
Quote from: 4Candles
Not 69·2% of exchanges surely? Do you mean population? Or properties?

It's 69.2% of UK premises.

Looking at it another way - Only 1197 exchanges are in Market 3 while the remaining 4390 are in Markets 1 & 2.  If you live in a city you're probably OK.  If your local exchange has less than 10,000 lines, 4390 of them, then you are going to be paying the higher rate.     Angry

And the 10,000+ line exchanges will likely be due to the presence of business premises - which tend to be in urban areas.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
without question there are some really good people that work for PN that are taking the backlash for what is at the end of the day a mangement decision.

This is not the first time that this has happened at PlusNet Towers  Sad
Regards .....
pd
Grafter

I was intending moving two friends over to PN (BBYW option 2) at the end of the month, one from talktalk and the other from BT, not now.  I can't repeat what one of them said when I told him it was now an 18 month contract, the mods would have a field day.

18 months, Plusnet?  NO thank you!
carrot63
Grafter

Quote from: Axis
And the 10,000+ line exchanges will likely be due to the presence of business premises - which tend to be in urban areas.

My own exchange, Stratford, London (LNSTF):
25,840 residential premises
1,338 non-residential premises.
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LNSTF
Certainly urban, but businesses don't seem to have much to do with the total, although I imagine this must be one of the UKs densest exchanges. Not sure if the figures given are for lines or merely premises served.
I personally think Ofcom are nuts with this market XYZ rubbish. The end result is to present living somewhere other than a densely packed city as a  privilege for which you should pay a premium.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I think you will find that residential tend to have one line, whilst businesses tend to go for quite a bundle.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

scootie
Grafter

Quote from: Galdere
Apparently they aren't growing fast enough. Says who and by what measure please? Maybe shares are needed now to be worth listening to.

Even with the new products and maybe some growth that might come of it there is going to be a point where you have to say its not possable to grow any more esp when people start breaking those 18 links of chains from around there neck and head for the hills
why could plusnet cough BT not be happy that plusnet was the leader in broadband products attracting the connaisseurs of internet users and making steady cough growth with all the non techy users escaping from the grips of talk talk ect  and who did the connaisseurs of internet recomend hum plusnet because you had a package and tip top network to suit all users apart from the leeching 24/7 dont care what impact billion gb download usage does to the network.
didnt BT's mummy read the bed time story about the tortoise and the hare.
guys when BT's finshed runing PN into the ground and put it up for sale for a bargin price shall we make token payment hum £1 double what it will be worth
The_10th
Grafter

I thought BBYW offer was suspect but the latest 'offering' is rubbish - just look at the download/upload speeds! Then there is the lack of options compared to BBYW products and what was it......oh yes, 18 Month contract!!  Angry
I could go on and on but basically this is a lousy management decision and one that has me seriously considering my next ISP when I move home (won't be paying £20). BT really are making their mark to the detriment of Plusnet and their loyal customers.
Why have 21CN bandwidth advertising and then throttle like there's no tomorrow? This isn't 'Unlimited' as most would expect some sort of 'line speed' when not sleeping!!!  Sad
Like Pierre said, the BBYW options have gone and replaced by this lame excuse for Broadband costing people £19.99 for highly capped broadband. Why have that when Talk Talk/Sky etc give that free or little extra?
I have a sneaky suspicion that given the addition of 155Mbps segments and the rise in iPlayer etc has led to this extreme throttling.
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: Galdere
Maybe shares are needed now to be worth listening to.

The reality is that PN shares proved to be a worthwhile purchase (as with any shares, so long as you bought them at the right price), and BT are one of the ever-dwindling number PLCs who still pay regular dividends, even in the current market.
From a purely fiscal POV - BT clearly are doing something right - if this move increases profitability and allows BT to send me a bigger cheque every few months, so be it.
Remember that when BT bought PN, they paid a huge amount in terms of cost-per-customer, as compared against the amount per customer paid for other ISPs in takeovers around that time.
The reason, many speculated, was for PNs advanced traffic management experience and automation/self-serve skills.
PN always looked like ending up being positioned as a proving ground for 'big ideas' before they were rolled to BT to deliver multiples of the wins demonstrated at PN.
The other intangible benefits of PNs history, insofar as being useful to BT for this type of activity, are their reputation for trying unpopular things, and for being 'gaffe prone' - PNs customers almost expect them to make mistakes like this, and when they put it right, we'll be vocal in supporting them again.
And if it goes horribly wrong, there might be some churn, but a % of this will be picked up by BT Broadband anyway, so no huge loss. The odd 10-20k customers won't make a huge difference overall to BT's balance sheet, even if it has big consequences for PN.
Surfer
Rising Star

I posted yesterday but my post seems to have disappeared.  I remarked that once PN have enough people hooked into the 18 month contract, they will probably do a cull with PN support staff which will obviously lower the customer service standards however as you are stuck in the 18 month contract there is nothing you can do about it.  Althougyh at £5.99 it  is a good deal, the 18 month contract is a killer!  Not for me.
Lurker
Grafter

There would be no need to 'cull' staff.
Natural degradation of the numbers would occur anyway as people find other jobs, so a recruitment freeze would see a drop in numbers at no cost or public outcry.
If subscription numbers increase as hoped, and staff numbers aren't also increased by the same percentage, in effect you have a reduction in support bod:subscriber ratio anyway.
But I'm not entirely sure where this idea comes from - I haven't seen any whispers of this even being on the cards.
dusty_bin
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
Existing customers moving to the new products can continue to use their webspace, CGI, MySQL, domain hosting as you have done previously.  Any problems let us know.

Yes, but Mand has indicated somewhere in this thread that you only carry forward to the new account those items you are actually using so, for example, if you have only one hosted domain when you transfer, you can't then get anymore as you could have done before the transfer.
1. I'd like it confirmed that I would be able to change the hosted domains if I wish as often as I like, e.g. from aaa.co.uk to zzz.co.uk
2. I think PN should reconsider the limitation of what can be transferred and allow the full entitlement to these facilities to be transferred across - not just what you happen to be using at the time you transfer.