cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process to replace faulty openreach equipment

Krazeh
Grafter

Process to replace faulty openreach equipment

Do Plusnet not have any sort of expedited process for the replacement of faulty equipment rather than making customers wait a number of days for line tests to be run before an appointment is presumably booked with Openreach for an engineer to replace the modem?
Having reported a failed LAN port on the modem on Monday evening I do not appear to be any closer to having getting it replaced and I'm concerned that it's going to be next week before an appointment is even booked with Openreach. After having gone through diagnostics with the CS rep on Monday evening to verify that the LAN cable works, that the router can be connected to and has the correct login details and that connecting a PC directly to the modem does not produce a connection I'm at a loss as to what further tests are really needed before it can be concluded the modem is broken. The LAN light does not illuminate when a cable is plugged into the port, the router reports the WAN connection is disconnected and when the modem is connected directly to a computer the connection reports that the cable is unplugged. All that line tests are going to find is that the line is fine but that there's no PPP session running over it.
The last update for Plusnet stated that you were expecting a further update from the supplier within the next 48--72 hours. This puts us into the weekend and will mean heading into it having been a week without internet. This seems a little ridiculous when the issue is self-evident and simply needs the modem to be replaced with one which has a functioning LAN port. Is there no way to speed this process up?
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Process to replace faulty openreach equipment

Do Plusnet not have any sort of expedited process for the replacement of faulty equipment rather than making customers wait a number of days for line tests to be run before an appointment is presumably booked with Openreach for an engineer to replace the modem?

I'm afraid not but for a number of good reasons to be frank. Mainly if we just sent an engineer and we were wrong about this that would lead to you being charged if the issue was found to be with your equipment and obviously we don't want that. We also have obligations with our suppliers to ensure certain tests are done before we're actually able to log a fault with them.
I appreciate what you're saying if it's an obvious issue with the modem though, however it's not guaranteed that the authentication issue in particular is caused by the modem too so it would look like we're investigating a possible second issue there. However I'm sorry if the updates you've received haven't been very informative.
I'm going to read through the fault ticket in full now and see what I can do to push back on our suppliers.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Krazeh
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware of any authentication issues, it's certainly not something I've reported. Could you provide some details of what the issue is? I would imagine it'd be tricky to resolve tho while the modem isn't working.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Krazeh
Grafter

There's no LAN connection to try setting up the PPPoE connection with, the pc reports that the ethernet cable is unplugged. Now I know the cable works as does the port on my PC which only who leaves one other culprit.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

So this obviously begs the question, why haven't Openreach been round to replace the modem  Roll_eyes
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@Krazeh
I'll be in touch very shortly.
Edit: I've tried calling you to arrange for an engineer to visit. Let me know when the best time to ring is Smiley
Krazeh
Grafter

Hi Chris
Anytime this evening should be fine.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Sorted Smiley