cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with router. Help please

jennyBA
Grafter

Problems with router. Help please

Hi, i have been with PlusNet for about a year now and am quite pleased with it.
I have referred my friend and she got connected about a week ago, but has problems.
I went and set up her Thompson router and connected to the internet for her, but every time her phone rings her internet connection goes off.
She tried using a different phone but its still the same, so it seems she can't use phone and internet at the same time. Sad
I don't no enough about internet connections to solve this, should i turn back the router to factory settings and try the connection again? should she check the line for faults on the broadband fault checker?
Any advice on this please, but not too technical please as i wont be able to understand it.  Grin
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Problems with router. Help please

Are all the phones in the house filtered
jennyBA
Grafter

The phone downstairs is filtered but the phone extension upstairs is not.
But we have tried a filter on both phones, but it wouldn't connect at all then, the lights on the router wouldn't stop flashing.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

All phones must be filtered.
If that doesn't fix it connect the router and one phone to the test socket and see if that fixes it.
jennyBA
Grafter

Ok thanks we will try that, thank you
jennyBA
Grafter

Hi, we have tried filters on all phones but still internet went off when phone rang, so we are now connected to the test socket as you advised and all is working correctly.
Is it ok to remain connected to test socket?
Am i right in thinking that this means there is a fault on the internal wiring?
Could you advise what the next coarse of action should be, should BT be contacted about the fault?
Thanks again Oldjim for the good advise.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

In that case I'd say it's probably worth disconnecting the bell wire - that should be the orange one connected to one of the points on the back of the master socket front plate. As long as the wires are still connected to points 2 and 5 (and disconnected from 3 and 4, if there are wires on either of those) you should be fine. Colour is not always a good indicator so go with the point numbers instead.
You should just be able to pull the wire out of the clamps, that should remove some of the interference and hopefully stop this issue.
There's a page with instructions and pictures at http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html if that helps Smiley
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Quote from: jennyBA

Am i right in thinking that this means there is a fault on the internal wiring?
Could you advise what the next coarse of action should be, should BT be contacted about the fault?

Yes, this does mean that you have a problem with your internal wiring  ... OR .... something connected to it that you have forgotten.
Check that:
1) You have Filters on all Handsets, Fax Machines, SKY Boxes, Alarm Autodialers, Modems etc.
2) Do you have an extension Ringer on the internal wiring?
3) Check the polarity of the wiring to each extension socket. The sane colour of wire should be connected to pins 2 and 5 on each socket and the Master Socket removeable front plate.
4) Remove all wires other than those connected to Pins 2 and 5 as Oldjim has suggested.
jennyBA
Grafter

Thank you for your replies, next step then is to disconnect the bell wire.
I am learning lots on this forum its really good  Smiley
Will post an update later when iv done it.
jennyBA
Grafter

My friend has managed to take out the bell wire in the master socket, but the extension socket upstairs has different coloured wires in compared  to the master socket.
Does the bell wire have to come out on this extension socket as well? If so she can do this, but the colour of wires in 2 and 5 terminals are not the same colour as they are in the master socket.
Any way she's having a rest from it today its giving her a head ache  Cry

Thanks for all the support so far  Smiley
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Do it by numbers, there's obviously a junction box somewhere that has been missed.
And yes, take off the bell wire EVERYWHERE.  Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you take the front off the master socket so that you can get at the test socket does the extension socket stop working?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jennyBA
Grafter

Hi, i think we have SUCCESS  Grin
My friend has had another go at the upstairs extension box and taken out the bell wire and some other wire, so there is only a wire in 2 and 5 terminals, and everything seems to be working ok now.
Thanks everyone for your help, will post again if anymore problems crop up.