Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with my broadband

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Problems with my broadband

It might be easiest to phone - Broadband Faults Helpline: 0114 296 5188
Normally you do it online through the member centre, but you'll probably have to work through the online tips, diagnostics etc. first that will repeat what you've recorded here.
James
Grafter

Raising a fault is actually really easy.
You just need to go through http://faults.plus.net and answer those questions.
yogiontour
Dabbler

Sorted! lets see if the people at plus net live up to the hype!
yogiontour
Dabbler

Plus net has just got back to me...
have looked at your connection logs and can see that your connection is regularly dropping which will cause the equipment at the telephone exchange to think that your line is unstable and in turn lower your BRAS or speed profile and adjust your line accordingly.  If you solve the intermittent connection problem you will simultaneously solve your speed problem. An intermittent connection can be caused either by a line fault but it may also be caused by an internal wiring issue or problem with your broadband equipment.  Due to this I would advise you to make sure that your modem/router is connected to the master telephone point on your telephone line, to change over your micro filter for an alternative and to remove all other devices from your line (telephones/fax machines etc) and monitor the line for stability.  Once the stability of your line returns your speed will return within 72 hours as your speed profile returns to normal. If you think you have a fault you can investigate further by using our Fault Checker. This can be found at http://faults.plus.net/ and you can also use this tool to raise a fault with us if necessary. Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
This has sort of sent me mental....its like no one from bt or plusnet seem to want to actually fix the problem! I told them everything, and even copied in a link to this page...and they wanna fob me off by telling me its my friggin filter!!!....arrrrr!! I have tried millions of filters, routers, modems and still no fix!
Can someone help me with what i can do next?
James
Grafter

Aha.
What's happened here is that our faults checker has noticed that your exchange is showing "red" for congestion.  Basically, you've got what appears to be an intermittent connection problem, which is causing your poor sync speeds and subsequently poor throughput.
Could you possibly reraise your connection problem as an intermittent one?
I'm sorry to be a pain.
yogiontour
Dabbler

Sure Smiley just done that now Smiley
Cheers mush!
yogiontour
Dabbler

How do I escalate a ticket? I have spent the past few days answering questions from plusnet...and then am asked the same question the next day. I am getting nowhere with the problem...Im still having plusnet people I recommend change my filter Cry
I'll buy the guy who manages to fix this problem a crate of beer! Until then its the world slowest 3g connection for me!
grimme
Grafter

Have you tried connecting to the test socket inside the master socket? There are two screws in the lower panel of the master socket, unscrew them and slowly pull away the panel, there will be a test socket in here  - plug your router directly into this socket and run the tests again from here.
If the test socket figures are better, then you may have a wiring issue with any extensions running off the master (even though you may not be using them to plug in your router.)
If no difference - then you will most likely have a problem with BT's external wiring.
yogiontour
Dabbler

I got home last night and after I rebooted my router it connected at 7.3mbs! I can now download at 400kbs...allthough I have to restart my router if I let it idle this is much better! I have no idea why this has happened...perhaps someone in the exchange plugged something in differently!
Yay!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That's good to hear, I've just ran a quick line check and it's showing your equipment is syncing at 8128 with the exchange. At the moment you have a 6500 profile so I'd expected a faster download speed if you reboot your router and try again.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
yogiontour
Dabbler

Cheers for all your help!