cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with ip cameras - wireless?

katie
Grafter

Problems with ip cameras - wireless?

I have 5 Foscam cameras in & around the house. The settings are all controlled through one camera, though they can be controlled individually. All recordings are triggered and recorded via a Synology server via its Surveillance Station. Since I started with Fibre optic broadband and more so with the Technicolor TG582n FTTC  router, I am constantly losing the wireless signal to the cameras. I previously had netgear modem/router with ordinary broadband. When I adjust the camera setting in the office where the router is connected via a cable to the desktop computer, the settings change immediately whereas when I change the settings wirelessly via the laptop, the setting changes are often delayed by up to 30-40 seconds. When I monitor the signal via inSIDDer the signal looks like an ECG no matter which channel I use.
This is the extent of my knowledge/observations but is this down to the router? If so, is there a better router to use to gain a better wireless signal? Does anyone know of a good Netgear router to use with Fibreoptic? I appreciate any advice or suggestions as I'm fed up with resetting the cameras every time the signal is losta nd they get a different ip which then has to be entered into the camera & server software - not to mention the unreliability of the cameras every time I leave the house. I do realise that the lameras are at the lower end of the price range but surely they can't all be rubbish when they were previously OK when I was on old fashioned broadband.
Katie
13 REPLIES 13
raoulsilva
Grafter

Re: Problems with ip cameras - wireless?

Hi Katie,
Did you ever resolve this?
katie
Grafter

No - it's been going on for weeks. I'm going to get a better router, I just need to know which one is suitable to get a better wireless signal than the Technicolor TG582n FTTC  router which Plusnet provided.
Katie
dick:quote
katie
Grafter

Sorry about the quote. It seems that I found the answer to my own question and after searching on this, and other forums, I'm about to get an Asus n66u router.
Katie
piattj
Dabbler

ASUS RT-N66U - terrific choice. I have had this for some months now. Rock solid, fast, reliable.
TORPC
Grafter

Unfortunatly that does not track down & attempt a cure in respect of the TG582n router
@Katie
Have you tried a different wireless channel
What steps have you already tried (save repeating & guess work)
katie
Grafter

I actually raised a ticket with Plusnet for the same problem as I thought it was the router. I did try all the didderent channels while using nSIDDer to monitor my neighbours signals. It didn't really make a difference. I could surf the net & do downloads OK but the cameras kept going off when the signal dropped out. Plusnet got BT to check the line and everything was OK at their end. They said that the cameras were going down due to the wireless signal and suggested trying different channels, which I did. I've been busy with other things since then and decided today that I must do something about it.
My router is connected to the main box which is in the office and the signal up there is really good. However, the ip cameras which are 3 upstairs and 2 downstairs  lose their signal at the same time - sometimes 1 or 2 and sometimes 3 or all 5 of them. This  suggests to me that there a definite drop in the wireless signal. I was loathe to spend yet another £100 on a new router but it seems that is what is needed to get a constant signal.
Kar=tie
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Quote from: katie
I could surf the net & do downloads OK but the cameras kept going off when the signal dropped out.

Katie,
An off the wall thought... is your router WiFi channel setting set to AUTO or MANUAL?
I have observed WiFi clients not "following" a SSID changing its channel when working in auto mode.  I suggest that this is worth confirming and if in AUTO try operating it in MANUAL and see if the problem goes away.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

katie
Grafter

I've tried both. Auto when I first got it and again when the problem started and then manual whan I was trying the different channels.
Katie
TORPC
Grafter

Before spending £100 on a new router
It could be caused by REIN
Try turning off all electrical devices
Then turn them on one at a time to see if any interferes with the WiFi signal
I have even known Laptop power packs / microwaves / fridge/freezers / C/H Boilers & much more be culprits for knocking out the WiFi signal
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There are boxes to tick in the router setup webpages for each camera to "Always use the same IP address". That should at least stop the IP addresses of the cameras changing.
katie
Grafter

I'll look into electrical devices and see if I can work out if anything is causing a problem. I'll also look into setting each camera to always use the same ip address - that's the biggest bugbear when they go off. Thanks to everyone who has replied. I'll spend more time on investigating now.
Katie
TORPC
Grafter

Let us know how you get on & if you need further help Wink
katie
Grafter

I ended up getting an Asus RT-N66U router as I was really fed up with the Technocolor one. Result - no problems setting up, connected to my server and cameras and there has been no loss of connection to the cameras at all in a full week. I'm a happy bunny now & wish I'd trusted my instincts - and the comments in this forum - and replaced it weeks ago.
Katie