Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with TG582N router in AP mode

conroc00
Dabbler

Problems with TG582N router in AP mode

Hi there.
I was lucky enough to be on the FTTC trial and so have the Zyxel NBG6404 as my fibre router and primary wifi AP. Somehow or other, I've accumulated two TG582n routers along the way and, having just moved into a new house where the Zyxel doesn't quite reach upstairs consistently decided to try to use the Technicolor as a second wireless AP.
I successfully set up the TG582n to run as an AP by changing the IP address to something outside of the DHCP allocation and turning the DHCP server off. All fairly straightforward so far ... I played around with running it using the same SSID as the Zyxel but eventually settled on using a different SSID just for my own diagnostic purposes for now.
When I first set this up, everything works fine, but after 24 hours my main desktop PC, which is wired, starts having difficulties resolving IP addresses beyond my LAN. I'm able to browse to all the LAN devices but when I try to go anywhere else it just times out. This doesn't seem to be a problem for devices connected over WiFi, which is even more curious. Taking just the TG off the network instantly fixes the problem.
For information, I run the following setup:
BTO modem -> Zyxel router (x.x.x.1) -> Netgear GS724T (x.x.x.252) from which all other wired devices hang - specifically here the desktop PC (x.x.x.33 - x.x.x.64) and TG582n (192.168.1.251)
Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be, or how I might go about diagnosing this? I've turned off the content server on the TG as I thought that may have some problems, and turned off WDS as well in case I was causing a loop between the wifi and the wired connection but that doesn't really seem to have helped. Strangely, when I go into the TG's devices list, it shows all of my wired devices as being connected to the ethernet port, despite them being the other side of the Netgear switch. That may just be a quirk though rather than a problem.
Thanks!
Chris.
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Problems with TG582N router in AP mode

Strangely, when I go into the TG's devices list, it shows all of my wired devices as being connected to the ethernet port, despite them being the other side of the Netgear switch. That may just be a quirk though rather than a problem.
I run a TG582n as a wireless AP behind my main router and it does seem to show more devices than you would expect it to. I can only assume it's seen some form of broadcast from the device in the past (possibly a DHCP req) and even though it's not going to handle it, it's remembered the mac address and possibly hostname.
but after 24 hours my main desktop PC, which is wired, starts having difficulties resolving IP addresses beyond my LAN
That tends to imply it's got the wrong gateway or DNS server(s). Have you checked with ipconfig ?
Netgear GS724T
!! that's some switch for your average home setup :). Almost as big as the ones I've got in the office.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

conroc00
Dabbler

Ipconfig looks fine, the gateway is still the zyxel as is the primary dns. I have a secondary dns set up, but that doesn't seem to be helping.
Got the problem right now, my desktop is returning error 101 in chrome when I try to browse anywhere, but I'm typing this from my mobile over WiFi!
Tracert was timing out at 192.core.access.plus.net, but now, five mins later, it's all working fine.
And yes, the switch is a bit overkill, but it's very nice and, more importantly, completely silent!
jim:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

my desktop is returning error 101 in chrome when I try to browse anywhere
That's a 'connection reset' is it just chrome ? there's a few possible causes here https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/chrome/KcwmN0bZ-3A
The fact that a tracert gets as far as 192.core.access.plus.net, shows you've got external access. Very strange!
And yes, the switch is a bit overkill, but it's very nice and, more importantly, completely silent!
Better than my Netgear Gigabit ones in the office then!. I've had to replace noisy fans on more than one...
BTW Just a heads up that there's no need ( and it's against forum rules ) to fully quote an immediately preceding post.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

conroc00
Dabbler

Quote from: MisterW
my desktop is returning error 101 in chrome when I try to browse anywhere
That's a 'connection reset' is it just chrome ? there's a few possible causes here https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/chrome/KcwmN0bZ-3A
The fact that a tracert gets as far as 192.core.access.plus.net, shows you've got external access. Very strange!

When the problem occurs I can't access the POP servers through Thunderbird either - they just timeout. Tried disabling Avast when I lost connectivity but that also didn't help, disabling and re-enabling the adapter seems to repair the problem. Any ideas what that may indicate?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

disabling and re-enabling the adapter seems to repair the problem.
That would almost certainly cause the ip address/gateway to be renewed via DHCP. It's odd that ipconfig show everything still ok though!. Perhaps, next time it happens, rather than disable/enable the adapter, try an ipconfig/renew to see if that has the same effect.