cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems using DSL-320B to connect to Tenda W311R router

jasmineclarke

Problems using DSL-320B to connect to Tenda W311R router

Hello,
I've been trying to get my DSL-320B dsl modem to connect to a broandband router I bought (Tenda W311R). I want to use the W311R in a switch and wi-fi AP capacity.
From the DSL-320B the ethernet cable goes to the WAN port of the W311R.
Then I connect the PC through ethernet to one of the ethernet switch ports of the W311R and can also connect my Android phone wirelessly.
However when I try to connect to the internet it keeps returning me to the homepage of the router or in the case of the phone I get access denied on the dolphin page. Both devices can be seen by the Tenda router and it can also see that the internet connection is live.
I've been reading around about other connection types with the DSL-320B. Would I be able to use it in Bridge mode? would that solve my problems or is there a chance I won't be able to switch it back to normal if I try it in Bridge mode?
Is there anything you can recommend about solving this? Many thanks
16 REPLIES 16
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Problems using DSL-320B to connect to Tenda W311R router

removed
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Would I be able to use it in Bridge mode?
Bridge mode ought to work. You will need to configure the Tenda for a PPPoE connection with your plusnet username/password on its WAN interface.
or is there a chance I won't be able to switch it back to normal if I try it in Bridge mode?
You can always factory reset it if things go wrong
Press and hold the reset button on the back of the device for approximately 5 to 8 seconds.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jasmineclarke

ok many thanks! i'll try that later and let you know how it goes  Smiley
if i do the factory reset on the modem will that come up again with the login/password details for plusnet or do i need to set it up from scratch?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You'll need to start from scratch.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Alternatively, plug the DSL modem into one of the LAN ports of the Tenda router and disable DHCP on the Tenda.
jasmineclarke

what does that do exactly? i have no idea thats why im asking Smiley
dick:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You're effectively just using the Tenda as a switch and wireless AP. The DSL 302 will allocate all the IP's. If you wish to be able to access the Tenda gui you will need to change the IP address of the Tenda to be in the DSL's subnet , but out of it's DHCP range

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Having re-read the blurb on the DSL-320 I'm not sure my advice will work.  Even though it has an inbuilt DHCP server it seem ambiguous as to whether it will actually host multiple clients on the LAN side.
Just exploring your current setup a bit further - What IP address does the Tenda get on its WAN port from the DSL-320 and what IP is your PC?
Presumably you get working internet access if you plug a single PC into the DSL-320?
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: jasmineclarke
From the DSL-320B the ethernet cable goes to the WAN port of the W311R.
Then I connect the PC through ethernet to one of the ethernet switch ports of the W311R and can also connect my Android phone wirelessly.

I'm somewhat surprised that didn't work "out of the box" (partly because my similar set up auto-configured everything  Roll_eyes ). The modem should have given the router an address via DHCP (192.168.1.x by default) and the router should have issued addresses (in a different net - eg 192.168.2.x) to the PC etc.
Quote from: jasmineclarke
However when I try to connect to the internet it keeps returning me to the homepage of the router or in the case of the phone I get access denied on the dolphin page.

Do you have the router WAN interface set for "dynamic IP" and the LAN net with a different address range?
What happens if you try to connect to the modem configuration pages?
Does the router DHCP server have the correct DNS IP addresses (though it should use the modem address as a default - the modem should then pass requests to the plusnet servers, if you haven't changed the settings.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
jasmineclarke

Hello again  Smiley
Im revisiting this issue now that I have some time.
I plugged this Tenda router directly to a friend's O2 thomson modem/router and without touching any settings it worked straight away as a switch and wireless AP.
So I'm a bit confused coming back at my DSL-320B modem..
The DHCP server of the Tenda router assigns address from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.150
I've taken screenshots which I've uploaded to tinypic for all the settings of the Tenda.
http://i40.tinypic.com/mcz1cp.png
The other peculiar thing is that although the DHCP server is on it doesn't give the PC connected to the DSL-320B an IP address from the DHCP range but instead it gives it the public IP address from the ISP
http://i44.tinypic.com/i1i34z.png
So basically I'm confused. I've tried my friend's Netgear router (that also works without changing any settings with the O2 modem) but that doesn't work here either.
The next thing I'd probably try is to put the DSL-320B in bridge mode.. do you think that would have any effect?
http://i43.tinypic.com/m831j.png
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The other peculiar thing is that although the DHCP server is on it doesn't give the PC connected to the DSL-320B an IP address from the DHCP range but instead it gives it the public IP address from the ISP
That's strange, if you connect the Tenda to the 320B does it get the public IP as its WAN IP ?
The next thing I'd probably try is to put the DSL-320B in bridge mode.. do you think that would have any effect?
Bridge mode will effectively turn the 320B into just a modem. You will then need to configure the Tenda on its WAN port for pppoe with your plusnet username/password. I believe you should use Bridged IP VC-MuX with VPI = 0 VCI = 38.

jasmineclarke

Ok so I've done it by plugging in the D-link modem into one of the LAN ports and turning off DHCP in the Tenda Router however I started getting an IP address conflict error on winxp. I got a win7 laptop that works fine with this arrangement.
I might try the bridge mode out of curiosity as it might be a more stable situation?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

however I started getting an IP address conflict error on winxp
Make sure all the devices are set to 'obtain an IP address automatically' via DHCP. Sounds like one of them is set to a static IP...

jasmineclarke

Bridged IP VC-MuX with VPI = 0 VCI = 38 did the trick! Cool Cool
I learned something new today.
As for the other connection all the devices were set to DHCP. I was getting different conflicts in different computers. One was picking up a conflict at 0.0.0.0 and the other at the public IP. I couldn't work it out from the logs but Bridged mode did it and now the Tenda router gives out the IPs and works as wired and wireless AP now.
A big THANK YOU to all who contributed!