cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems upgrading to PN Fibre due to confusion over Exchange Status.

Spruance
Grafter

Problems upgrading to PN Fibre due to confusion over Exchange Status.

In January 2013, I upgraded my PN broadband to Unlimited but had an issue over the Market status of the Boston Exchange (EMBOSTO) whereby it was - wrongly as it turns out - listed as a Market 1 exchange. After some toing and froing this was resolved and it was recognised that Boston exchange was indeed Market 2 as it meets the criterion of "Two or three 'principal' operators provide broadband services at this exchange." The accepted current market status is reflected on my latest PN bill which reads "Plusnet Unlimited (Contracted) Market 2/3 Charge...£9.99"
All well and good until that is a few minutes ago when I tried to upgrade to PN Unlimited Fibre Extra (up to 76Mbps) only to be told that Boston had been 'downgraded by Ofcom' back to a Market 1 Exchange.
Obviously someone is getting their lines crossed as the PN Support lady was quite adamant that I could not have my existing Market 2 discount on a Fibre upgrade. I suggested that she query this but her manager also confirmed the supposed switch back to Market 1.
This is all very confusing because Sam Knows website still show Boston as Market 2 :http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMBOSTO
The two companies in question (aside from BT and of course Plusnet), are TalkTalk and Sky. A friend of mine is on Sky Fibre via Boston exchange and my next door neighbour is on TalkTalk, and coincidentally is currently in the process of switching to their Fibre product .
So, which is correct - Market 1 or Market 2?
As things stand I have said that I will stay as I am on ADSL2+, but at Market 2 rates, but I am sure that the PN Support operator , and her manager, are wrong and would like to get this sorted out asap.  
PS: Just noticed that Plusnet's own exchange checker tool lists Boston exchange as Market B (current equivalent of past 2/3 rating) and as this is the new A, B or Hull arrangement it surely confirms that I am righ and PN Support is wrong!
3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Problems upgrading to PN Fibre due to confusion over Exchange Status.

The A/B classification in the exchange checker still reflects that published in the Ofcom consultation document in July 2013. However for exchange EMBOSTO their final report published in May 2014 confirms the same classification which is B (unregulated).
Normally unregulated exchanges are regarded as lower cost.
David
Spruance
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
However for exchange EMBOSTO their final report published in May 2014 confirms the same classification which is B (unregulated).

I rest my case M'lud. Wink
Currently waiting on a reply to the ticket I raised on this very point last Friday evening.
Spruance
Grafter

Just a quick follow-up....
I received a reply to my ticket yesterday lunchtime (Tues 5th Aug 2014) confirming my Market 2 (or B in 2014) status, but left it another 24 hours before phoning again re an upgrade to fibre. Despite a warning message indicating a potential 15 minute delay I actually only had to wait three minutes, which was very impressive.
First off I asked about an upgrade to the (up to) 76mbps product but was advised that as my line could only handle a max speed of 56mbps, it would be better to opt for up to 38mbps. I mentioned what I had been offered - pricewise - last Friday but ended up with a very much better deal. Ok I had to agree to a 24 months contract but as I am not planning to leave Plusnet anytime soon that was a small price to pay. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that the BT Openreach engineer can call as soon as next Thursday, 14th August to complete the installation/upgrade, although I did opt for the 0800-1300 slot as I have read online elsewhere that they are less likely to miss the early slots than the later ones.
So despite the small hiccup over the wrong market designation on my account, which was quickly resolved after I raised a ticket, I have to say that I am very pleased with my new Plusnet deal! Smiley
Well done Plusnet! Smiley