Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems trying out PCLinuxOS

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Problems trying out PCLinuxOS

Of course you could always boot from a live copy of Ubuntu, and use this to make appropriate adjustments to your Wifi setup - including downloading any PCLinuxOS bits  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

artificer
Grafter

good luck with your new piece of kit.  i hope it works for you.  have you tried connecting via ethernet cable, rather than wifi, or is that inconvenient?
waldron
Grafter

I've been using ethernet to try to resolve the problems. But it meant moving the PC, monitor, keyboard etc into a bedroom on the floor to get close to the router (the master BT socket is the only one with broadband available). That's not a viable long term solution, hence the wifi requirement. Hopefully a PCI card which has linux drivers available will solve the problem.
Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.
grimme
Grafter

It looks as thought it's found the WIFI card correctly  - but it hasn't setup the encryption. You might need to go into the control panel again and into reconfigure an existing connection - then add the WPA encryption requirement and the key.
I'm afraid I did take the easy option and changed the Mini-PCI card in the netbook I used to an Intel known detectable model.  Smiley
There's also a newer release candidate of SAM 2008 and that's based on PCLinuxOS, with additional software pre-loaded you might like to try.
waldron
Grafter

I am pleased to say that I installed my new PCI card today and it worked perfectly first time with both Windows and PCLOS.
artificer
Grafter

excellent news.:D  have a lot of fun with linux.