cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems streaming You Tube

Azagoth
Grafter

Re: Problems streaming You Tube

I'm on the BBYW Option 2 and the rest of the internet is fine, as are my connection speeds and other stats. 

It's just Youtube that's the problem, and has been for over two weeks now.  I'm beginning to think that Plusnet are actually managing the traffic and not telling anyone about it.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

these is the Kitz throttling charts
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Azagoth
It's just Youtube that's the problem, and has been for over two weeks now.  I'm beginning to think that Plusnet are actually managing the traffic and not telling anyone about it.

We're not intentionally doing anything different with the BBYW products compared to the current product set. I'm on Unlimited at the moment and have just checked out the video linked to by Pierre. Both the standard and HD streams seem to be coming down without any unecessary buffering. What gateway are you on? I'm on pcl-ag01.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am on the new one
You are currently connected to the "City Lifeline, Juniper 9" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as pcl-ag02.
Azagoth
Grafter

I'm on :-
You are currently connected to the "City Lifeline, Juniper 10" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as pcl-ag03.
Can't see any option anywhere on the user pages to change this, so why would the gateway I'm on be affecting nothing else on the internet but Youtube?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it depends on your router, you should do a router disconnect from the menu - not switch off, leave a while then reconnect, you cant chose the gateway, its a matter of luck which one you get
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@azagoth it depends how busy the gateways are - you can tell this from the packet drop graphs at http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_packets_drop.shtml. If there's more drops (shown as spikes on the graphs) on the gateway you're on then disconnect and reconnect a few minutes later and check to see which you're on.
Hope that helps,
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

looking at the graphs I am a bit puzzled.
Non of them are showing any Gold drops - assuming that is what "Interactive PAYG All" means so I can't see why switching gateways should help as Youtube streaming is supposed to be gold unless there are some hidden traffic limits jumping in.
scootie
Grafter

remember oldjim it was told to us that indeed youtube sig does have a rate limit attached to it even tho its classed 0x80.
still like you i cant see why gateway jumping would make a diffrence even with the rate limit as the sig is so high up the queue
Azagoth
Grafter

So what you're saying is that if I want to use something as basic as Youtube then I have to keep rebooting, or disconnecting and reconnecting, my router?  Why is this?  None of my mates on other ISPs have to do this to view movies on Youtube, they just click and watch.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

So what you're saying is that if I want to use something as basic as Youtube then I have to keep rebooting, or disconnecting and reconnecting, my router?

No, I wasn't saying that. I was saying that the performance in that case might have been down to a busy gateway (now before you mention that the extra capacity being added this week should stop this from being an issue) and as such it might have been worth checking the packet drop page to see if indeed the gateway was busy, and changing if it was.
Azagoth
Grafter

Will you please sort this issue out, and sort it out soon!  It's coming on for a month now that Youtube as been ususable!  I've tried that switching gateways things, didn't change a bloody thing! 
I'd like to be able to watch videos that my mates send me, videos which they can watch perfectly fine with their ISPs.  Yet for some reason Plusnet seem so totally incapable of even accepting a problem exists!
My speed is fine, router stats are all fine, therest of the internet works fine and the PC is way more than capable of rendering real-time HD movies, so streaming low bitrate movie on YouTube should not be a problem. 
It's just Youtube and just on Plusnet!
I
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Will you please sort this issue out, and sort it out soon!  It's coming on for a month now that Youtube as been ususable!  I've tried that switching gateways things, didn't change a bloody thing! 

I can't help but think that something else is amiss here. It might be an idea for us to assign you a test account or change your traffic management profile to rule that out as a possible cause. There have been no gold drops over the last hour so; you really shouldn't be having the problems you seem to be having.
I guess the next step would be for us to try connecting on a test line using your account to see if we could replicate the problem, have you got a ticket open about this?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Snoremonster

Hi everyone,
I've just joined PlusNet. I joined for the low gaming speeds (which are great).
My wife likes to watch Youtube, iPlayer and the ITV player, but unfortunately streaming on all of these is impossible due to slow buffering. This has been consisently unplayabe since our service was activated, except for Thursday at 2.30pm last week when 'Just Jack - The Day I Died' on Youtube only took 12 minutes to buffer instead of 30+ minutes.
After performing numerous speedtests and reading the support pages, I came across this topic. I was wondering if things had improved for any of the people who complained previously?
It's a real shame, as my wife is my boss  Cheesy and if she's not happy, I'm not happy, and that means I need to find another ISP.

Thanks,
Snore.

Tsonga
Grafter

Hi Snoremonster
Hope YouTube is working better for you now. Just to answer your question (as I am the one who originally started the thread), it turned out that my streaming problem was not PlusNet related, but that there was an issue with my computer. Buffering is pretty fast at the moment as it happens...
Don't know about the others who complained, although I assume their problem is sorted as they are not posting anymore.
Good luck!