Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems streaming You Tube

ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Problems streaming You Tube

I'm testing these youtube videos at the same time as streaming BBC radio at 192Kbps in WindowsMediaPlayer.  The second one -- video
-- does buffer much slower than the earlier Cohen O2 performance but still faster than the player bit-rate. HOWEVER, both of the HD versions stutter a bit in IE8 because, I think, of the massive demands being made on my cpu. This is obviously nothing to do with Plusnet and is, I think, a feature of the Flash Player (WindowsMediaPlayer is using hardly any cpu compared with IE).
Hope this non-technical test is some use?
Chris
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just done a number of tests and I have no problem in normal and HQ but as soon as I go to HD it stutters and it is noticeable that the bandwith on HQ and HD is the same which would tend to indicate that it is rate limited to about 1400kbps
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Quote from: BlueRhizome
Pausing allows the buffer bar to make progress. Unfortunately for me this does not improve the situation when viewing.

Did you wait until the video had fully buffered before starting to view it again?
Have you tried full screen?

Had not but now have. Same problem in both small and full screen.
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: ChrisL
I'm testing these youtube videos at the same time as streaming BBC radio at 192Kbps in WindowsMediaPlayer.  The second one -- video
-- does buffer much slower than the earlier Cohen O2 performance but still faster than the player bit-rate. HOWEVER, both of the HD versions stutter a bit in IE8 because, I think, of the massive demands being made on my cpu. This is obviously nothing to do with Plusnet and is, I think, a feature of the Flash Player (WindowsMediaPlayer is using hardly any cpu compared with IE).
Hope this non-technical test is some use?
Chris

Possibly, as I have no problem watching these in RealPlayer (once downloaded and converted to AVI), whereas IE and Firefox are giving me grief. But there again, I am your ultimate layperson...
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, if it's fully buffered then it has to be either the software or the hardware on your PC and as other players work fine I'm going to have to say software. I guess you could try uninstalling and then reinstalling the flash player? Not sure what else I can suggest really but I'll have a think.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Reference my post above - I have not changed anything and now the video is coming down fine on HD and the bandwidth looks like this compared to the previous one
This leads me to the clear conclusion that there was an overall rate limit earlier this evening. This needs to be checked out
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: orbrey
Hmm, if it's fully buffered then it has to be either the software or the hardware on your PC and as other players work fine I'm going to have to say software. I guess you could try uninstalling and then reinstalling the flash player? Not sure what else I can suggest really but I'll have a think.

Hi Orbrey
I uninstalled FlashPlayer and installed the latest version yesterday.
Don't know if this can help with your diagnosis, but the situation is that I can watch the same clip twice with totally different outcomes, i.e. perfect HD stream in full screen / choppy frames and stuttering sound, even in ordinary quality and in small screen. This can happen even if I watch them within seconds of each other.
It seems, from what Oldjim is saying, that bandwidth rate is not consistent on YouTube streams. Could there be a fault somewhere, or are people simply experiencing software issues (or perhaps a bit of both)?
Bit of a headache I think!  Huh
csogilvie
Grafter

Was anyone having problems with Youtube last night?
I'm on unlimited, with a 7150 profile and was suffering buffering after about 2 seconds on
and then it was being slow...
Quester
Grafter

I too have experienced this slowness where the video loads just a little slower than the playback rate.
However with regards to the stuttering in HD, I encountered this and found after some troubleshooting on the matter that if I drag the position slider to the beginning, even if it appears to be so already, it'll play smoothly (providing the video streams fast enough). I can only assume this is a problem with the youtube player or flash. Hopefully this might solve any stuttering issues you have with the HD videos.
Azagoth
Grafter

Impossible to use now @ 19:42, won't stream at all.  I have to wait for the entire film to load in before hitting play, and even that's taking an age.  Just taken 5 mins to load a 1:22 film in standard resolution.
Are Plusnet ever going to allow us to use YouTube as it's intended to be used?  It's got to be something on their end as my mate's who're on different ISPs (Virgin, Zen and Be) can all stream the videos perfectly fine and without a problem.
It's not my PC either, that's more than capable of streaming and playing HD content.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

No problem here - this is HD
Azagoth
Grafter

Youtube is unusable again today, I'm trying to stream some WoW raiding guides and it's taking a good 5 minutes for the bar to even move 1cm!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not being a gamer, not really sure what you are trying to do, But I am getting HD full screen no problem

%3A%2F%2Ffreewowguide.org%2Fcategory%2Fwow-raiding-guides%2F&feature=player_embedded>
%3A%2F%2Ffreewowguide.org%2Fcategory%2Fwow-raiding-guides%2F&feature=player_embedded
Azagoth
Grafter

Nope, can't watch that in standard resolution without it constantly buffering, let alone watching the HD stream.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well I am on the humble value pack, you will have to give a lot more info to the knowledgeable, i.e. router stats as to you connection speeds