cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems streaming You Tube

Be3G
Grafter

Re: Problems streaming You Tube

Well, I'd appreciate it if you could find out please, because I expect it applies to Value and therefore means it could affect the functioning of my account, yet Plusnet have failed to mention it, which I am not impressed about. Specifically, I'm thinking that it wouldn't be surprising if the rate limit only has normal quality streams in mind - which might explain why when they work fine, HQ and HD streams don't.
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
I think the limits are normally in place for a few hours each evening when we're at our absolute busiest. It shouldn't matter to be honest as the buffering should always be ahead of the streaming. What concerns me at the moment is that it looks like this might not be the case...

As far as I am concerned, I sometimes stream a few YouTube songs to unwind between 11pm and midnight, which I would not expect to be your absolute busiest time... Correct me if I'm wrong!  Smiley
I have not yet managed to watch this video properly, even though I tried many times:
. It starts ok and then becomes unwatchable. I assumed it was because the picture quality is pretty good even though I don't think it qualifies as HD (even so, I would expect to be able to watch a good quality stream even in the evenings). However, I have since had problems with lower quality videos too. Not always though, to be fair. Not sure how YouTube streams in the mornings as I never use it then.
I am currently on Unlimited. Going back to BBYW3 in a couple of days, but that won't change anything.
Thanks for looking into this!  Smiley
Edit: Can't watch it right now at 4.43pm.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its coming down OK for me at 200+ KiB/s, currently at 10 out of 42 min on "Telehouse North, Juniper 2" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as ptn-ag2. I am on the Value Pack
Be3G
Grafter

That video works Ok for me at 17:06, but only just - the buffering bar (oops, initially typed that with two 'g's rather than 'f's) only just stays ahead of the playhead. So if you're, say, on a more congested pipe than I am (I'm on 21CN so thn-ag2), I could easily see it failing.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

No problem here on Value and on pcl-ag03. - hits full line speed at the start
Tsonga
Grafter

I am currently connected to the "City Lifeline, Juniper 8" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as pcl-ag01.
It really bugs me that you people can watch it and not me! I've been trying for several weeks!  Cry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

now up to 28 min ant is is ahead to about 35 min
Tsonga
Grafter

Well, I hope you're enjoying it!  Cheesy
Edit 5.30pm: Actually seems to be working here at the moment (buffering bar very slightly ahead). However, this is not a good time for me as I've got to go and cook dinner. I need to be able to watch that kind of stuff when my kids are in bed and everything is sorted out, i.e. late evening.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Just to rub it in - this is the result watching in HD and my IPprofile is 3000kbps
Tsonga
Grafter

Oh well if it's just me forget it!  Angry
Santiago
Grafter

@BlueRhizone
After dinner you could go round to Oldjim's and watch it there, he is in Dorset
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Grin
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
@BlueRhizone
After dinner you could go round to Oldjim's and watch it there, he is in Dorset

LOL! Well I'm actually going to a gym, but it's not an old one!  Grin
caulbox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You could also try downloading the footage, using one of the many free youtube downloaders. I use Videoget myself (which isn't free - but was a former giveawayoftheday).
Just a tip I'll offer, If you want to download the HQ version of a movie (when available). Simply append your youtube link with &fmt=18 - so in this case the link will read:

If you then paste such a link into your youtube downloading software, you'll be downloading the HQ (.MP4) version. I've just downloaded this Leonard Cohen clip and FYI, I can tell you that the standard (.FLV) footage is 94.3 MB, whilst the HQ (.MP4) footage is 154.4MB. As a consequence of the download (with Videoget) my IE8 cache now also contains an MP4 file, although my Videoget download is titled "Leonard Cohen on Q TV (CBC exclusive).flv"  (in spite of it being an identical copy of the MP4 file in my cache). But this doesn't introduce any problems with playback (in either MediaPlayer Classic or VideoLAN).
Incidentally - if you've watched the streaming footage (however choppy) from the link you supplied - you might already have a (FLV) copy of the footage present in your Temporary Internet Files - probably with a generic name something like "video[1].flv". Just do a search of your cache for *.FLV and you should locate the movie if it's in there. (don't know for certain about this - but if no such file is found - then it's possible that you may need to increase the disk space made available for TIF files. IE8 allows for a maximum of 1024MB).
Edited the word "generic"  - freudian slip earlier  Huh
Tsonga
Grafter

What an excellent idea! I have used Orbit once or twice in the past, but it never occurred to me to download YouTube videos with it!
Thanks! Will give it a try now!  Smiley