cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems slowly getting worse.

Pupazz
Dabbler

Problems slowly getting worse.

Hi all, I have happily been on Plusnet for about 2 years now but the last 3 months have been causing me some trouble.
I have a couple of problems and the support on the phone has been singularly annoying- rather than even try to fix something they
seem to think that they should sell me a more expensive package instead, so I've given up on them. Anyway...
The big problem is that I've been experiencing more and more ping spikes on the line which kick me off VoIP, prevent streaming and
wreck gaming. I know ping isn't guaranteed, but the fact it suddenly appeared after 18 months of reasonable service and continues to
get worse says there is a problem somewhere to me. This past week it has got to the point where it flat out kills the connection for
a few minutes at a time at random intervals.
I haven't seen the router lights change during the outages.
I'm using a wired CAT-5 connection, so it can't be wi-fi drop outs.
I've bought a new filter & phone, plus I've tried the router on it's own (with each filter) in the test socket and nothing makes any difference.
I've listened for noise on the line but there isn't any. I've been through all the tests BT can suggest to me and they're convinced the
line itself is fine and I can't find any basis to disagree.
The only other idea I have is it could be the router itself and here we hit my 2nd problem - can't log into it at all.
It's a Speedtouch ST516 v6 on IP 192.168.1.254, so I browse there and it won't accept either set of credentials (username@plusdsl.net + serial number
or Member Centre User + Pass). I have spent hours trying and retrying with leading caps/lower case and replacing 0s with Os and so on to make sure
I'm not making stupid typos. Just to be clear I'm trying to get into the admin panel.
Now, I do have an old ADSL router, but I don't know if trying to use that is going to cause problems or be allowed, but it is there for trouble shooting
if needs be. So, does anyone have any bright ideas? Thanks Smiley
12 REPLIES 12
gofaster
Rising Star

Re: Problems slowly getting worse.

The router doesn't want your plus net credentials.
The default admin userid for the Speedtouch is
Administrator
and leave the password blank. Note the capital A in Administrator
Pupazz
Dabbler

Thanks gofaster, but it seems it doesn't want Administrator/no password either.
edit - I should have mentioned I've tried common defaults for this model router when not supplied by Plusnet too.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If it is a Plusnet supplied one it depends when it was supplied http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/516v6.shtml#routerDetails so it might be worth trying the older option as well
Pupazz
Dabbler

Hi, just to be sure I reset the router and PC, then tried Administrator/<blank> and Administrator/<serial number> again and still no joy I'm afraid.
edit-  A HA! Another reset and it has given in to admin/<serialnumber>  phew, well that's something at least Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

When did you first notice this problem? I only ask as the connection seems to have been a little less stable than usual over the last couple of days. Also have you noticed a general reduction in connection speeds?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Pupazz
Dabbler

Hi Adam, I first noticed the ping spikes becoming a regular thing about 2 months back. The complete drop outs are much more recent, just over the last week.
When I'm not experiencing them, the speeds I get out of the connection have been about the same as they always were - ~10Mbps.
Now I've got access to the router I can post the line stats if that helps -
Uptime: 0 days, 0:38:13
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 12,576
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.5 / 34.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.5 / 3.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 174,116
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2
And model/Firmware versions -
Product Name: ST516
Software Release: 7.6.10.0
Software Variant: KF
Boot Loader Version: 1.0.8
Product Code: 3594263A
Board Name: BANT-V
Thanks for the help so far guys.
Pupazz
Dabbler

Not sure if it's coincidence but now I'm somehow over my usage cap even though I haven't been downloading....
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 18:40:14
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 12,576
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.5 / 34.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.0 / 3.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2,336,131  <--- GUESSING THIS IS THE PROBLEM
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 230
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 215
WWWombat
Grafter

No. The FEC counter indicates errors that have been self-corrected by the modem, without any re-transmission needed. Nowhere else (at Plusnet or inside the house) will even see that there was an error. But note that even re-transmission that is visible to (and counted by) the modem won't have any effect on your usage.
Packets that are re-transmitted from the remote end, or re-transmitted by your PC, *will* count in your usage, but those will only be seen at the protocol levels seen by the PC/server. The modem won't know anything about whether those packets are faulty or not.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Pupazz
Dabbler

Sorry to keep bumping this but I thought staff support was coming after Adam posted...
The usage mystery has been solved- apparently some sneaky sissy had quietly re-enabled
the wifi, disabled security and had been helping themselves to a LOT of "free" internet.
WWWombat
Grafter

Do you think the two things are linked? Someone stole your internet connection, and could have been doing anything with it - but certainly enough to hike your usage allowance. If they managed to swamp your upstream (say, by seeding on P2P unrestricted), all sorts of latency delays would ensue.
Given that one of your early reports was that you've had your line tested, and that it appears to be fine, suggests this could be part of the problem.
On a totally unrelated (ish) front... I noticed that you are on 21CN and ADSL2+. Your upstream data rate looks to have been restricted - which is the way Plusnet had configured connections previously. They're gradually fixing those now, usually getting the upstream speeds to somewhere in the region of 1000-1200Kbps, but if you want to jump to the front of the queue, just ask for your upstream to be uncapped. Someone from PN's team should notice, and order it for you (well, probably on Monday). Or you can request it by phone.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Pupazz
Dabbler

Yeah, I didn't think they were originally related as the latency problem persisted for a few hours after I spotted the freeloaders, but it seems a lot more reliable today.
I didn't initially want to put too much stock in what BT said (I used to work tech support for Sky and they'd just say ANYTHING to try and get the businesses relying on the
unbundled loops to go away), but I couldn't hear anything untoward on the line and they said there's nothing else to do other than try to cajole the ISP into looking closer.
I've got to say it's a bit embarrassing to find out after a lot of messing about testing and buying spares of everything to discover that someone found their way onto the router,
but that won't be happening again.
Interesting tip about the  line config but to be honest I don't require more than I have now that it isn't being leached on.
As it is, I'll leave it at that unless something unexpected happens and thank you all for your kind help. Smiley
Ta-ta.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Pupazz,
It looks like you seemed to have solved the mystery then, I've checked over your connection and everything is running how it should be.
If there's anything else let me know and I'll be happy to help.
Chris