Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems ordering Annex M

peteredelsten
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Problems ordering Annex M

Story so far:
25th November 2013: spoke to sales to order a new PlusNet ADSL service, for VPN use with a decent uplink speed. Sales person stated that they could provide a "guaranteed 1.5 Mbit/sec uplink speed"
25th November 2013: went ahead and placed the order on-line, for a phone line + ADSL service, paying in advance for 1 year's phone line and 1 month's ADSL.
3rd December 2013: phone installed.
3rd December 2013: internal order for ADSL connection initiated (they seem to want the phone physically connected before asking for the ADSL to be implemented)
6th December 2013: I looked at the notes under "Help Assistant" and realised they ordered ADSL+ Annex A with 24Mbit/sec downlink and 445 Kbit/sec uplink, not Annex M as anticipated.
6th December 2013: I raised a ticket under "Help Assistant"  asking them whether they could install with ADSL2+ Annex M not ADSL2+ Annex A.
9th December 2013: I received a response "I can confirm we can give you Annex M with a fixed rate upload speed, but this will be charged at £12 per month."
9th December 2013: I responded that was fine please go ahead and install as proposed and charge me the extra £12 per month by direct debit.
11th December 2013: ADSL went live with specified 24Mbit/sec downlink and 445 Kbit/sec uplink. Actual speed 7 Mbit/sec downlink and 350 Kbit/sec uplink which is close to expectations for what they actually ordered.
What I am supposed to do? I thought I dealt with the ordering process as best I could making it very clear what I wanted. However they have done something else.
Any suggestions from anyone who has experience of trying to get the support team to act in a responsive manner would be most appreciated.
Peter
5 REPLIES 5
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Problems ordering Annex M

Can you please post your router stat.
You'll find then in the Technicolor router at:
Home > Broadband Connection > DSL Connection > [Details top right]
You need a decent download sync to be able to get annex M.
We need to see your router stats to be sure but a 7 Mbps speed test doesn't look good for annex M.
Also have you checked BT's speed estimate for your line?
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
peteredelsten
Grafter

Thanks npr
Actually my issue isnt with the techicalities of whether ot not Annex M will do what I want - the issue is how to get Plusnet to do what I asked them to do.
Actually I see now I have confused AdslMax with Annex A but that is not significant becasue Plusnet have stated that if I commit to the Annex M charges they will increase the uplink speed to a "fixed speed".
It is likely that Plusnet don't really understand that Annex M doesnt necesssarily give you the "1.5 Mbit/sec guaranteed uplink" they say it will as it is subject to what the line will handle in just the same way as the downlink. But any increase will be helpful for me. If the uplink speed doesnt improve sufficiently under Annex M I shall give up and go back to using G3. You probably wont believe that the location is close to the Moorgate exchange right in the middle of London - the problem is that the local copper phone cables are so ancient and convoluted that 1 mile as the crow flies is probably equivalent to 10 miles of copper cable.
Yes I have checked the line speed with the BT line tester and the predications from BT wholesale and the speeds and the SNR data are consistent with expectations.
Peter
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've placed the order for you, that'll complete tomorrow morning - the reason it wasn't done when you asked on the ticket is because the order to provide the service had already been placed with the default upload speed, and we can't raise another order while one's in progress (and cancelling that order and replacing it with Annex M would have taken a lot longer).
Hope that helps, you'll have the Annex M speeds from tomorrow morning.
peteredelsten
Grafter

Latest update:
13 December 2013: Annex M now working giving synch speed of 8.8 Mbit/sec down, 1.7 Mbit/sec up, actual speed 7.5 Mbit down, 1.4 Mbit/sec up.
So now working to requirements. I have nearly 5 times the uplink speed without any significant impact on the downlink speed.
Thanks very much for your support Matt.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fantastic, really glad it's sorted - thanks for letting us know.