cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems connecting

stevewelling
Grafter

Problems connecting

Have been unable to connect most of yesterday (1 sep) and today. Am using an adsl modem and am based in S Manchester. Had been very annoying.
16 REPLIES 16
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Problems connecting

Just wondered if work carried out on the telephone systems after the earth tremor in Manchester last Tuesday has any bearing on this?
I believe that tremor affected services which presumably needed to be repaired - perhaps the repairs had unwanted side-effects?
David
stevewelling
Grafter

Didn't think of that. Could be a possibility. had only be a problem this weekend - maybe they wait till weekend before carrying out any repairs.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

When you say "unable to connect" is this totally dead broadband (i.e. no sync, green DSL light just keeps flashing), or does the modem sync (steady green DSL light) but then fail to connect to PlusNet?
Is this BT notice (Manchester Area Multiple MUXs : Loss of Service) relevant to your exchange?
David
stevewelling
Grafter

I get a constant DSL light - but says remote computer not responding.
I don't come under the area codes - I am 016188 - but this could definately have something to do with it. I was also having problems connecting most of yesterday (sat).
Has been ok for the last hour...
stevewelling
Grafter

Ok. Still having problems connecting this morning - and talking to work colleagues who would be on the same exchange they are not having any problems. So, it's either me, or it's the isp.
Have raised a ticket with metronet portal but can't even log into that this morning (from work)!!! Argh!
Our modem dsl light is always on - so there is an adsl signal.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hmm something is a little odd here, the number on your account isn't showing as an asset in our system or BT's system. However if I search on the line ID (CBUK) this brings up a different telephone number again. 😕
I'll try giving you a call to see if we can figure out what's going on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Rightyo, after some digging, prodding and investigating I think I've sorted out the first issue, the numbers on your account now match up with the line details so that will help with any fault investigation.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
stevewelling
Grafter

Ok, have just spoken to girlfriend at home and she can now connect... is that due to these different numbers..? Or is it a BT Manchester issue..?
Chris
Legend

As you have been able to connect in the past then that would suggest it wasn't the information on the account causing this. I've tidied it all up now for neatness and future help, I also refreshed the ADSL component on the account and performed an intrusive woosh test. So any of this could have fixed the issue Cheesy
stevewelling
Grafter

Right. Thanks. I'll keep you posted...
BTW, what's a woosh test?
Chris
Legend

It's a diagnostic tool we use to look at the line details, I did a test to see if I could pick up any reason for the connection problems but nothing sprung to the front.
stevewelling
Grafter

what about logging onto metronet portal - it says my username or password is incorrect - but it isn't! I have already had a password reminder and I am correct...
Chris
Legend

I'll go look at that bit now, before I do it please remember that to log in to the metronet member centre the username and password are not the same as your connection details.
*edit*
Just tested and it let me straight in, the username is the same as the one you use on here Wink can't give the password out for obvious reasons.
stevewelling
Grafter

Hmmm...not working for me. - even if copy and paste from password reminder page...