cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems connecting Asus DSL-N66U

Struggling

Problems connecting Asus DSL-N66U

Can somebody please help save my sanity....
I have bought a DSL-N66U as a replacement for the standard PN Openreach modem and technicolor router as senior management was complaining about the wifi coverage (we live on a 200yr old house with 2ft thick stone walls) and the fact that with the Asus you could put various time and other controls on the kids' access to the internet.
I have established that we have FTTC and so I got the DSL version which is ADSL and VDSL capable. I have though struggled to get the damn thing setup. Going through the quick setup process the first problem is on the pulldown menu for countries and ISP providers the only one for the UK is BTinfinity or not not listed. I've tried both options but both seem to lead up the same blind alley namely the installation completes but at the installation map on the Asus wizard it shows no internet connection as it it unable to contact the remote server. I've checked the user name and password, I've tried varying the authentication method between CHAP and auto (whatever that means as my old connection setting showed it was CHAP) but all to no avail.
I can connect my netbook to the new box OK although that too shows no internet access.
I've now bounced back and forward between the new box and the old two checking various forum posts and other support pages but I've run out of ideas as well as feeling that I'm way out of my depth technically as I haven't a clue what half these various abbreviations stand for without resorting to good old Wikipedia.
My guess is that it is something to do that screen which lists countries and ISP providers but it is only a guess. Any help offered would be very gratefully received.      Cry   
11 REPLIES 11
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Problems connecting Asus DSL-N66U

You will still need to use the Openreach modem with the Asus DSL-N66U, the Asus only replaces the technicolor router, not both.
Apparently it does contain its own VDSL2 modem.
Stanman24
Grafter

the dsl 66u has built in vdsl modem
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

I’ve had a look around on the ‘net on your behalf and what I found was not inspiring, I did find a manual for a similar model to yours but it skipped over the very settings you really needed.
However I did find this link http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/78-asus-dsl-n55u.html and while it may not be your exact model it does show how to configure a similar model for use with a BT ADSL2+ connection. It seems to use a similar GUI interface to your model.
The main complaint I found was you had to use the ‘Wizard’ to input your settings as there seemed to be no ‘direct’ way of inputting the settings via the web GUI interface, something I have to date not come across on other modem/routers, and I’ve had the pleasure of setting up quite a few.
I don’t know if the above will help but details seem lacking on Asus models.
Anyway good luck and Happy New Year. P
jimbof
Grafter

Wow, the manual for this router is junk.
You can find the manual and quick start guides here:
http://www.asus.com/support/Manual/11/2/DSLN66U/
However there are no details for connection settings whatsoever...! (weird, I thought that was quite an important function in a router).
On the Draytek routers you have to configure the WAN VLAN ID to 101 for BT infinity and similar FTTC services (I believe Plusnet included).
So if you can find that setting for the VDSL connection that might help.
Hope you get it working, I'd been thinking about this router to neaten up my cupboard.
Kielty
Dabbler

I have a DSL n66u that works a treat..  From the setup screen when you enter the DSL settings select the manual entry..  From the drop down list of isp's select 'not listed' and then enter the vpi/vci settings as 0/38, wan connection as ppoa, encapsulation is vc mux and leave the PPP authentication as auto. This should work (for an adsl connection).
If you have set up the router and are passed the initial setup as above check the settings are correct in the wan> internet connection section of the router settings...
In summary..
Transfer mode ATM
PVC should show internet and enabled
Vpi should be 0
Vci should be 38
Wan connection ppoa
Encapsulation ppoa vc mux
PPP authentication as auto
Hope this helps..
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Those are the ADSL settings - The OP needs help with VDSL setup...
Kielty
Dabbler

Apologies, not paying attention..  Have you tried setting the transfer mode to PTM and enabling, enable 802.1q with Vlan I'd of 101?
nintenjo64

I have just swtiched to Plusnet Fibre and bought this same Router Asus DSLn66u i upgraded the firmware to 1.0.6.7 but had no join connecting it to my Plusnet VDSL connection, i have tried pretty much every setting on the DSL and WAN setting page including the VLAN 101 that so many people have suggested. Even the Plusnet support (who were pretty clued up on Asus routers was baffled as to why a connection couldnt be made) in the end i have opted for WAN bridge mode with pppoe authentication keep the Openreach modem connected via the WAN port and it works flawlessly..
I have noticed that Asus have just released a new 1.0.7.0 firmware update which includes VDSL fixes so i may upgrade and retry again later. I also plan to call Asus tech support to see if i can get them to help as it seems like the perfect VDSL modem router combo on the market but just dosn't want to work with plusnet for some reason. (seems ok on BT inifinty and Sky fibre) I'll keep you posted.
jambrose00

Did anyone get to the bottom of this?
I have ordered Plusnet fibre and thinking about getting this modem/router to do away with the openreach modem taking up another power plug.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I also plan to call Asus tech support to see if i can get them to help

Good luck! I happily use the RT-56U connected to my BT modem & have no problems whatsoever. However, in the early days I did try calling tech support over a small problem, I might as well have saved my breath.
The online forum, however, is excellent. Smiley
http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=11&model=DSL-N66U&SLanguage=en-us
vdsl0speed

I have put this post here for anyone that wants to resolve DSL problems (sic: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1H0NZQDSODEZG/ref=cm_cr_pr_auth_rev?ie=UTF8&sort_by=M...
I have owned this router for over a week and been having a hell of a time with the DSL ping and speed. I search everywhere online on how to resolve x2 higher ping (from 15ms to 30ms) without success, until I researched the vDSL modem specs.
Heres how to improve speed and decrease ping:
1. Update firmware
2. Disable [WPS] in [wireless] settings and [uPNP] in [WAN] settings (security risks)
3. !important part! While in [WAN] settings change [MTU] to [1442] and [TCP MSS Option] to [1300]
4. Go [Advanced] settings then [DSL Setting] tab and change [DSL Modulation] to [VDSL2] and set [Rx AGC GAIN Adjustment (VDSL)] to [performance].
I couldn't be more than happier now, extremely fast and great WiFi range/speed! Good luck!