cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with line speed, ticket not answered, ready to terminate service

Wayne140681
Dabbler

Problem with line speed, ticket not answered, ready to terminate service

Hi,  I've got big problems here.  Reported an issue with my line speed after my Fibre install on 2nd January 2014 (2 days late, wasn't informed until i called you after waiting at home all day, and router didn't arrive until 2 days after install). Was estimated line speed of 39.9 D/L, and 9 U/L. Created a ticket because I was only receiving 20D/L and 4.5 U/L. Response came back saying that there was an issue and that I was on the incorrect product (I was on 40/10 not 80/20).  Was assured that my line speed would increase within 24hours. It increased to about 30 D/L, but remains at roughly 4.5 U/L.  I have run a BTW speed test and can see that my ip profile is just under 30 D/L, and 20 U/L. Clearly isn't right, and I am getting very frustrated by the whole affair. Still waiting for a response since Wednesday, (previous response took almost a week).
I thought that maybe if I run some downloads on my laptop, I would push the ip profile higher.  Hence I set about setting my laptop downloading overnight. I wake up to find that my laptop has no Internet connection yesterday morning (nothing wrong with laptop), strangely all other devices have an Internet connection, phones, iPad, PS3, EVERYTHING. On my laptop I dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I was downloading on Windows 7, now no Internet. Tried windows 8.1, and as if by magic I have an Internet connection!
It looks like I am clearly being prevented from connecting to the Internet, which on an UNLIMITED package seems a contradiction.
Please will somebody look at this because if it isn't fixed I will ensure I leave my contract due to my fibre speed being 10mbps less than promised.
It's worth pointing out that I am a big fan of Plusnet, and I have told lots of people about how satisfied I have been in the past.
Appreciate the help if I get a reply  Embarrassed
15 REPLIES 15
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Problem with line speed, ticket not answered, ready to terminate service

Quote from: Wayne140681
It looks like I am clearly being prevented from connecting to the Internet, which on an UNLIMITED package seems a contradiction.

No you're not being prevented from connecting to the internet
strangely all other devices have an Internet connection, phones, iPad, PS3, EVERYTHING.

But you've based your conclusion on the basis of one machine out of many others? 
I wake up to find that my laptop has no Internet connection yesterday morning (nothing wrong with laptop)

How have you proved there's nothing wrong with the laptop?  What diagnostic data do you have to support the conclusion that the fault is down to PN and not your PC?
If this happens again, look at the output of 'ipconfig' (from a command prompt) and see if the IP address has correctly renewed.
Wayne140681
Dabbler

Many thanks for your help with my problem....
Now, unless you are a Plusnet employee, you have no idea what is happening to my internet, and whether or not my access is being restricted.  You will notice the question above "please can somebody look at this?" this was intended for somebody that works for Plusnet that may actually be able to solve my issue.
What diagnostic data do you have to prove it's my Laptop and not Plusnet?
Now unfortunately, as i am the bill payer for my internet, with a wealth of knowledge surrounding computers and the internet, i take offence at your arrogant assumption i am some dimwit looking to blame Plusnet for something that is my fault.
Thanks again for your help  Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I suggest you post the actual result from a BT speedtest - further diagnostics
Just to make it clear the profile of the line is set between the BT Modem and the cab by the automatic systems.
Fiddling about with the router or any of the devices in your house will have no effect on that at all
Ideally the speed test should be done with a wired connection as a wireless connection can severely impact the result
Wayne140681
Dabbler

Thanks Jim,
I understand that the IP profile is configured automatically, the issue is with my being informed it had been reset 3 days ago, and there has been zero change.  Initially i was quoted as being able to receive 39.9 DL, hence the issue.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You misunderstand
They moved you from a 40/10 product to an 80/20 which did happen because your upstream IP profile is 20Mbps and this profile is governed by the product you are on not by the actual sync speed
Now the downstream IPprofile is in fact 29.4Mbps which is a synch speed of just over 30Mbps
The question therefore isn't about the product and profile it is why are the speeds as low as they are.
The speeds are effectively set by the distance from your premises to the Cab.
Do you have any idea of the distance in your case
Wayne140681
Dabbler

My upload profile was initially 10.  It was increased to 20 with no actual change to my upload speed.  It has consistently sat between 4-4.5.  The cabinet is as the crow flies approximately 200 yards
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Of course the speed wouldn't change as you were well below the 10Mbps figure anyway
Given the 200 yds figure you should be getting much better speeds than that
Have you raised a speed fault https://faults.plus.net
Wayne140681
Dabbler

This is the response to my original speed fault, i have to admit i don't totally understand what it is trying to say.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As you have a wealth of knowledge about computers and the internet I am probably teaching my granny to suck eggs but what I think it means is that for your distance to the cab you should either be getting between 55 and 39.9 Mbps if the connection is in good condition and if it is bit dodgy between 48 and 24.9 Mbps
I assume that the fault is still open as I would expect the next thing to happen is a BT Openreach engineer visit
However I am sure that there are many more knowledgeable than me in this area, specially the Digital Care Team Members on this forum, who will correct me if I am wrong
Wayne140681
Dabbler

To be honest Jim, that was the conclusion that i had loosely arrived at. "Wealth of knowledge" might have been quite strongly worded due to the apparent negativity aimed at my post from the initial poster!
Appreciate your input.
Wayne140681
Dabbler

Also, worth pointing out that i had a visit from an Openreach engineer to look at my connection before the move to Fibre.  Was receiving 1.19MB, when rectified reached a stupendously fast 2.38MB!  (countryside, 4 miles from exchange).  The engineer informed me that he had given me a new connection at the cabinet, and my cabling looked "Better than the rest".
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

To be honest Jim, that was the conclusion that i had loosely arrived at. "Wealth of knowledge" might have been quite strongly worded due to the apparent negativity aimed at my post from the initial poster!

That'll be me then apparently - Try re-reading my reply.  There's no negativity, just confirmation that PN are not cutting your Win 7 laptop off the internet.  I was making no comment about your line speed issues.
I was genuinely trying to be helpful - No ISP has a mechanism that can prevent one machine (behind a NAT router) from accessing the Internet and they have no method of distinguishing between devices on your connection.  Therefore the problem you have is down to your local network and Win 7 on the laptop and tests should be run to determine the problem, such as checking the IP functionality of the machine and connectivity to the router and other hosts on your network.
My advice is clearly not welcome, so I'm off  Lips_are_sealed

Wayne140681
Dabbler

I apologise, to be honest i`m quite sore about the whole thing.  No replies to any contact, get on the phone to find out you will be on hold for an hour!  I just want what they told me i could get.  Sorry if i offended anybody, i`m just very displeased with the level of service so far.  I appreciate all input, even if i take it the wrong way!!  Grin
Wayne140681
Dabbler

I can say though that i am 100% certain there is nothing wrong with my Windows 7 installation.  Even had me second guessing myself and reinstalling all network drivers, Virus scan etc!  Must be my time of the month!! Roll_eyes