cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with high usage

ckirk

Problem with high usage

Hi, I've had a problem with extremely high usage this month, one day in particular. I was under my limit on tuesday and in a period of a few hours I apparently used 37gbs of usage, which I have never done anywhere near before. Is this even possible?
8 REPLIES 8
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Problem with high usage

Hi there,
I've just taken a look into this and as far as I can tell the usage is correct with the vast majority being used between 1pm and 11pm. We use 2 different systems for usage monitoring, ellacoya and CBC, you'll see the ellacoya usage on the VMBU page so I've checked the CSC usage and that's also showing the same amount.
I'm happy to give an hourly breakdown if you like for the heavy usage day?
Do you have a Sky box plugged in to your router? Did you watch a lot of high quality streams that day?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Have a read of http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,104830.0.html and the other thread linked in it.
ckirk

Quote from: Chris
Hi there,
I've just taken a look into this and as far as I can tell the usage is correct with the vast majority being used between 1pm and 11pm. We use 2 different systems for usage monitoring, ellacoya and CBC, you'll see the ellacoya usage on the VMBU page so I've checked the CSC usage and that's also showing the same amount.
I'm happy to give an hourly breakdown if you like for the heavy usage day?
Do you have a Sky box plugged in to your router? Did you watch a lot of high quality streams that day?

I never used it significantly more than any other day, which at very most gets up to around 5gbs on the highest used days.  I don't have a sky box, only real youtube and iplayer and some similar sites. I'm just shocked at the amount because as I've said it wasn't used significantly more than any other day that would normally used 2gbs or so.
I would appreciate the hourly breakdown, thanks.
ckirk

Quote from: Anotherone
Have a read of http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,104830.0.html and the other thread linked in it.

If I got it right they're saying the problem is torrents? I don't use torrents at all or have any torrent downloaders installed on my computer.
ckirk

I also was unable to access the internet for all of Thursday. It said Broadband was disconnected and to login in as more privileged user. Finally got back on not too long ago, if this information means anything.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

No, read the lot, there could be any number of reasons, a torrent was the cause of two of the problems mentioned. Also, iPlayer in HD will gobble a fair bit of usage if you use it much.
But in view of your last post, I'd be checking what's running on your computer. Make sure your AV is up to date and run a full scan.
Download a program called Malwarebytes from www.malwarebyte.org, do a quick scan with that, then when you have time to leave it running, do a full scan.
ckirk

I use a mac and keep getting conflicting information on whether or not to use an AV. Malwarebytes isn't available for mac. Thanks though.
adie:quote
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Try out Sophos AV for mac, it's free and doesn't slow things down too much.
http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx
Is best to have something as a precaution and to stop passing something else on to windoze machines.
That's RPM to you!!