cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with connecting laptop to internet; 3 other devices on same router OK

OriginalDrT

Problem with connecting laptop to internet; 3 other devices on same router OK

Hi,
We just got our new Plusnet connection today. One laptop and two smartphones connect OK. A second laptop which is the one used to set up the connection says it is connecting to the internet ('internet access') but when you try to access a web page it says 'no data received'. Does anyone have any idea why and if so what we can do to fix it?
We did have a problem while setting up the connection with the router not accepting a change to the wireless network name and having to be reset with a pin. Could this have a caused a problem with that laptop that the other devices are not having?
Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Problem with connecting laptop to internet; 3 other devices on same router OK

Have you tried shutting down the problematic laptop, then restarting it? This should reinitialise everything, hopefully curing the problem.
David
OriginalDrT

Re: Problem with connecting laptop to internet; 3 other devices on same router OK

That didn't work, but restarting the router did.
Anonymous
Not applicable

As it is now, with the laptop that won't browse the internet, are you able to browse to the router configuration webpages and do things like looking at the router status ?, or can't you currently browse to anything ?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Interesting problem!  Is the PC in question running Win Vista?
I've seen a similar issue with DHCP / ARC address resolution - see here.  Upon rebooting the router all is OK until the problem happens again.  Symptoms are...
1. All other computers are working fine
2. Problem computer cannot connect to the nternet
3. Other computers cannot ping the problem computer
4. Ipconfig on the problem computer shows an address which is not in the subnet (self assigned) and there is no gateway address
5. Deleting the IP lease in the gate way and running ipconfig /renew on the problem PC reports a new IP lease in the gate way but the PC does not acquire the address.
6. Rebooting the router 'solves' the problem until it happens again.
I have seen this repeated several times in the last 2 weeks - I do not have clearer diagnostics on the issue, but I suspect some timing problem between the router and Vista WiFi drivers.
Edited to correct iPad typos!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have seen exactly that problem many times on Windows XP machines, and generally by not using DHCP - i.e. changing to a static IP and specifying the DNS addresses in the PC network configuration, permanently fixes the problem.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

I tried that too and it delivers a partial fix only...
The router 'sees' the device on a static address.
The device can connect to the Internet.
However that device and other devices cannot 'see' each other across the LAN.  A router reboot is the only cure!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.