cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Netgear WNR1000v3 supplied by PlusNet?

adagio
Grafter

Problem with Netgear WNR1000v3 supplied by PlusNet?

I suspect a problem with the Netgear WNR1000v3 router supplied for my FTTC upgrade. With what seems increasing frequency the wireless speed drops dramatically. This has manifested itself on 3 devices:-
1. My wife’s laptop – very slow browsing
2. My Android phone – Speedtest at best shows 120kbps mostly “Network Issues”
3. My Squeezebox – both streaming from desktop and from BBC iPlayer unable to re-buffer so playing impossible.
The cable connection speed is not degraded i.e. my desktop still indicates ~35Mbps on Speedtest.net. Rebooting the router restores the wireless performance to normal - OR modem untouched. There are no other WiFi routers in range using the same wireless channel. On Christmas Day the issue arose 4 times in 2 hours!
Do I have a problem that requires replacement?
4 REPLIES 4
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Problem with Netgear WNR1000v3 supplied by PlusNet?

Hi adagio,
Try changing the encryption to WPA-PSK instead of WPA2. Also worth changing channel to see if that helps.
Jojo Smiley
adagio
Grafter

I have done as you suggest Jojo, not I may say without enduring some considerable pain in getting my Squeezebox to work  Cry It does not like having settings changed. Will see how it performs.

PS Does seem to mean I can't use Wireless 'N'
adagio
Grafter

Well so far so good - have tested with a couple of hours streaming from Squeezebox plus 4 or 5 hours Radio 3 Listen Now HD and no problems. I should, however, like to know how and why. Bad experimental procedure to change 2 variables - was it the encryption or the channel?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: adagio
was it the encryption or the channel?

that's the $64,000 question, I think Smiley