cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Internet and Dell C1765NFW Printer

sayinla
Dabbler

Problem with Internet and Dell C1765NFW Printer

I just setup my Dell Laser printer connected to my Plusnet Technicolour router Yesterday and ever since my internet has been having problem, It practically stops all wifi connection from working and I have had to reboot the router 3 times but have now switched off the printer.
has anyone else had this issue and would they be happy to share their resolution.
thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Problem with Internet and Dell C1765NFW Printer

When you say it stops all wifi connections from working - do you mean other devices lose the wifi connection or that the internet just does not work all the time?
sayinla
Dabbler

All Wifi devices are disconnected form the Wifi and will not reconnect until the Router has been rebooted. The wired internet works during this time however.
jim:quote
AndyH
Grafter

Have you tried updating the firmware of the Dell printer? Not quite sure why it would be causing the other devices to disconnect.
Can you post a screenshot of the Dell printer settings for wifi?
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I have the C1760nw and ISTR reading that it is recommended that the USB connection is disabled when using wireless (though a quick check didn't urn anything up). The manual only states that USB and Ethernet must not be connected at the same time and I know an ethernet connection automatically disables wireless (the light stays off Shocked )
Phil.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
sayinla
Dabbler

Thanks AndyH, will be happy to post it however I am at work at the moment, I have just stumbled upon several other users having the same problem on anandtech forum, sysmptoms is exactly as mine please see below, I will be happy to provide whatever settings information I can extract when I am back home.
I have a new Dell C1765nfw. It's been set up for a week now, works great except.... My router is an inexpensive Rosewill NX-EasyN4.
Twice in the past week I have had to power off/on the printer to correct problems other devices in the house have experienced maintaining a connection to my wireless router. The devices appear to be connected but do not have internet access and I can see the connection speed being renegotiated constantly. Power cycling the printer has resolved the issue, the first time for a few days and the last time for about 12 hours before the issue reoccurred.
This printer is within 5 ft of the router and is the closest device in the house to it. Is it possible this printer is overpowering the router, and if so why doesn't it fail right away? I guess I can rearrange the office to get it further away, but it does not seem like this should be necessary.
Is it possible the printer wireless hardware is faulty somehow? I would hate to have to box up and RMA this 40 lb printer.
Any ideas? Thanks

I have been suffering the same symptoms with the same printer, in brief
Periodically the router drops the connection to all wifi devices (not sure if the Dell printer is or is not included in that). The cabled connections continue to function.
Devices cannot then successfully authenticate when they are forced to try to reconnect.
The workaround has been to power-cycle the router.
With every other device powered up and connected, and with the printer powered up but NOT connected via wifi, then things are perfect. Connecting the printer by wifi to the router brings the symptom on.
This is true with two different routers, and for each of these a different wifi account has been used: the second router was the brand new one provided when I was trying to eliminate the router hardware as the root caused, clearly it is not, it may however be incompatible in some way with the wifi of the Dell C1765.
Router channels:
I have tried both channel 1 and Channel 6 on the first router, with no difference in the symptom
Periodicity:
The intervals between being knocked off the wifi have varied (from recollection) between an few hours or more to just 10 minutes. This may perhaps relate to the sleep/deep sleep state of the printer perhaps.
Any thoughts from anyone smart?
sayinla
Dabbler

Quote from: PeeGee
I have the C1760nw and ISTR reading that it is recommended that the USB connection is disabled when using wireless (though a quick check didn't urn anything up). The manual only states that USB and Ethernet must not be connected at the same time and I know an ethernet connection automatically disables wireless (the light stays off Shocked )
Phil.

Thanks Phil,
I am not currently using the USB and there is no device plugged in either, I would not suppose that would be causing a conflict if nothing is plugged into the port. I have looked through the manual for the Printer and couldn't find anything relating to ISTR.
Thanks.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Oops! - ISTR -> I seem to Recall  Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.