cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem routing to camera after change from BT hub 3 to Pnet Technicolor

karam
Hooked

Problem routing to camera after change from BT hub 3 to Pnet Technicolor

Have recently changed over from BT to Plusnet and changed from Home Hub 3 to Technicolor TG582n router (only because Hub 3 wi-fi started becoming erratic at the router - on/off/on/off etc). I was dreading the move because I know its never straightforward when you are trying to do something even slightly out of the ordinary. Not disappointed there ...
Anyhow managed to get everything else working other than a link to a wired IP camera. I'm not entirely a novice but neither am I an expert. I certainly worked out what the TG582n's terminology is for port forwarding and set this up not just for the camera but also for services on a port connected  PC. Since everything is fine on the PC I think I didn't misunderstand the port forwarding methodology. Both the PC and the IP cam have unremarkable static IP addresses (assigned at the device end) and the TG582n can see these as well as other devices connected in by ethernet or Wi-FI so nothing unusual there, other than that it seemed to take a while for the router to finally register the camera IP address. For quite a while it just showed as 0.0.0.0. Maybe that is a clue, but I really don't understand why, as there is nothing remarkable about its IP address that I can figure out and neither does it conflict with any other that I can see.
Anyhow, if I try to connect to the camera via a browser on the PC (i.e via LAN) I just get the rotating 'trying to connect' type result from the browser and it never manages to connect. On the other hand if I swap everything back the BT router eveything works ok, so I know nothing has changed wrt the camera itself or the browser for instance. Something in the TG582n still seems to be blocking access.
I tried putting camera in DMZ, setting firewall to 'disabled' , unchecking uPnP and extended security, enabling gaming mode, in various combinations but nothing has worked so far. Frankly I have found the TG582n a bit difficult to work with in the sense that I don't really understand clearly what some things are doing notwithstanding help pages. For example what does enable gaming mode actually do above and beyond port forwarding? Does disabling the firewall really disable any interference by the router? It also seems to lack enough transparency in some areas compared to other routers I've experienced.
It is clearly the router getting in the way but I just can't figure out what other knob I need to twiddle or setting I need to change. Can anyone help?
3 REPLIES 3
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Problem routing to camera after change from BT hub 3 to Pnet Technicolor

Quote from: karam
Both the PC and the IP cam have unremarkable static IP addresses (assigned at the device end)

Try putting the camera and PC on dynamic IP address and in the routers network settings for each device tick "always use the same IP address"
These Technicolor routers sometimes have problems port forwarding to a static IP.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What's the IP address of the camera?  What's the IP address of the PC?
Sounds like the PC is actually getting an address via DHCP from the router and the subnet is now different.  I can't recall what the default subnet is on the two different routers. 
karam
Hooked

Thanks for your replies. I may try the DHCP option for the camera but I don't have any problem on the PC. In fact the PC is also running a server application which uses two user defined ports and this application is working just fine both from LAN and WAN.
pwatson: The IP addresses are of the form 192.168.1.xx and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. The PC's IP address showing in the router does seem to be the same as that specified in the PC's network adapter TCP/IP setting (which I selected to use a defined IP address rather than 'automatic' ). So I'm not sure the router DHCP is actually dishing this out. Not that I know how these things are managed between router and device.