cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem getting service at new house

jheenan
Grafter

Re: Problem getting service at new house

Thanks for the suggestion jelv - I never got the time to try phoning those numbers at a sensible time of day, but more of the puzzle has become clear.
The install happened today, and basically all went fine. Phone + FTTC now all working.
The BT engineer was bemused to find that there was dialtone in the loft but not at the master socket. It turned out that what we'd both presumed was a single run of cable from the loft straight into the ground floor master socket actually darted off in a completely random direction under the first floor carpet. Further investigation revealed that both the cable going to the master socket and the cable from the loft went around under the carpet, through the wall and into a bedroom. Except at the point they entered the bedroom they'd been cut, flush with the skirting board they were coming out of. So the BT engineer cut the cable back and joined them back together.
There's no sign at all there was even any kind of phone point etc in that bedroom, so we're utterly mystified as to what this cable was and why the previous occupant had decided to very neatly cut it off when they moved out.
brianex121
Grafter

Re: Problem getting service at new house

My BT landline on which I've been a very happy PlusNet customer for donkeys' ages, broke eight days ago and, despite many calls from the mobile to BT (many of which went unanswered and with no warning placed on the line that it was temporarily out of service) it was only this morning that their technical faults section phoned back to say they'd just notified Open Reach.  Two engineers from OR arrived, put a check on the line and fixed it in under two hours.
Why this could not have been done quicker, I don't know.  AND, you can't just phone your complaint to BT, it has to be sent to Durham, their correspondence centre.  Tonight, doing a 'thank you' letter to Open Reach, a call came from the same faults lady offering me £1 per day for the trouble, and a couple of quid for my mobile calls.  Only when I asked, and after some haggling, did she offer an element for the rental - which ispaid in advance - taking the total compensation package to ...... just over £11.
Sometimes it pays to persist. Nothing was being offered until I asked (embarrasing!) 
Frankly, I'd rather have had action days ago.