cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem connecting to router.

davedeering
Grafter

Problem connecting to router.

I'm trying to help my next door neighbour who is on Plusnet ADSL, I'm on fibre.
Last year I installed a T Link nano router TL-WR702N in his house which was connected to his Humax Freesat box as a client so that he could pick up BBC Iplayer for his Sony TV, the T Link connected wirelessly to his Plusnet Technicolor router.
This has worked flaqwlessly up to a week or so ago when it suddenly stopped connecting to his Plusnet router, thinking that the T Link might be faulty I brought it around to my house and attempted to get it to connect with my Plusnet router, this it did within minutes of me setting it up and worked quite satisfactorily on both my PC and laptop.
Took the T Link back to his house, went through the usual set up routine for it, still will not connect to his router just sits there trying to identify the connection.
I should say at this point that both his PC and laptop along with his Ipad still connect wirelessly to his router and work normally, but the T Link won't, I've even taken the T Link to another friends house, who is also on Plusnet ADSL, to test and again it works as it should and picks up his router ok.
I am at a complete loss to explain why the T Link refuses to connect to his Plusnet router as I know that it's working everywhere else, does any body have any ideas what the problem might be?
Dave
13 REPLIES 13
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Problem connecting to router.

Dave,
I'm guessing from your description that the device is WiFi connected to the base router?
I suggest that you check the encryption settings - not just the pass phrase.
Does the device find the host WiFi network when you tell it to do a "Survey"?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

two routers on one connection?Huh
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Depending upon the requirements you could have as many as you want.  I have two and one installation I manage has 3.
Do not confuse the generic use of the term "router" with the more precise term "modem / router" which is what is attached to an ADSL phone line.  Depending on needs one can connect several secondary routers "down stream" of that device.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

davedeering
Grafter

Townman
Yes the T Link connects by WiFi to the Plusnet router and it does find the Plusnet router after telling it to 'Survey', but after rebooting it, which is what has to be done, it just sits there 'Identifying'.
I've checked the encryption settings and everything is as it should be this is why I'm at a complete loss as it works correctly on other networks and his PC and Ipad will connect every time.
Dave
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Can you see the TP link device listed in the TG router's device list?
This could be an issue with assigning the IP address.
As it happens I'm in the middle of trying to sort out issues with a TL-WR710N direct with TP.
Whilst these are smart / tidy devices, they have some gremlins.

davedeering
Grafter

I can't see the T Link in devices in the TG, I've brought it back to my house and connected it up to my PC and can see it in my TG, it's down as an unidentified device but 'Active'.
What I can't understand is what has happened to make it stop working after almost 15 months.
I appreciate your help.
Dave
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

This is looking more and more like an issue with the TG router.
Is it a TG582n?
Is it on firmware 10.2.2.B?
I have seen TG routers otherwise working normally not be happy dishing out IP addresses to Vista platforms.  Never did find the cause, but your description of symptoms sounds the same.  Has a reboot of the TG been tried?

davedeering
Grafter

I don't know what firmware the TG is running, I'll pop back there tomorrow and check, I have rebooted it and also done a factory reset.
Dave
davedeering
Grafter

The Plusnet router is a TG582N running 8.4.4.J.
I've been back today with my Nexus Tablet and my laptop, both of them connect immediately to the TG, so I doubt that there is anything wrong with the TG, it must be the TL-WR702N, it just musn't like being in his house any more.
Dave
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Dave,
I have seen similar issues with a vista laptop in my household.  Everything else works fine except for the vista machine.  Detailed investigation showed that the vista requested a DHCP address allocation AND the TG had provided one - it was as though the vista laptop simply never received notification of the IP address.
The problem was always "resolved" by rebooting the router - until it happened again sometime later on.  The problem circumstances can be avoided by assigning a fixed IP address to the device.
HTH,
Kevin

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Have you tried deleting the T Link network settings from the TG582n ?
Sound's like a possible IP conflict with another device on it's home network.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What wifi channel is the TG router using?  What region is the TP Link device set to?  Make sure that the router only uses channels 1,6 or 11 or that the TP Link region is set to Europe.  I'd recommend taking both devices off  'Auto' channel (if that's what they're set to) and fixing them onto channel 1,6 or 11.
As it has been working but is has now stopped it seems unlikely that it's router firmware or password related... 
davedeering
Grafter

I haven't been able to look into this matter again until today, happy to report that everything is back working again, nothing at all to do with the TG router or T-Link, it was the Humax box.
He had a power cut at some time and it must have upset the settings on the box,  thanks for everybody's help and suggestions.
Dave