cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem connecting 2nd. laptop to network

anotherbob
Grafter

Problem connecting 2nd. laptop to network

A friend asked me to connect a laptop to his home network for his daughter to use. He already has his own laptop on the network, a Samsung using Vista Home Premium. (We are both on PlusNet, he has Fibre, I haven't) The laptop I was to add is a Toshiba, also running Vista home premium. I went through the usual process and the Tosh connected to his network. However there was no Internet access, only local, and the network was "unidentified".
I spoke to PlusNet support and they suggested a) try a different channel, and b) try using WEP security instead of WPA.
The channel change made no difference but changing to WEP overcame the problem and the Tosh had internet access.
HOWEVER... I noticed that the Wi-Fi button on the Technicolor router had turned red, and the setup manual said this meant security was off. When I logged into the router wireless config. it said WEP security was enabled, but that WPS was not due (o incompatible setup.) The network is not open, a search on my Android phone shows it as secured by WEP. Can someone reassure me that the network is secure, and maybe explain why I had the problem?
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Problem connecting 2nd. laptop to network

I'd not be too concerned, to my knowledge the WiFi button is just for the function of connecting via WPS and flashes red if a WPS connection fails so it's not an over-all indicator as to it security is on or off.
The only reason I could think that WPA might have failed could be due to the age of the laptop, if it's running vista I'm guessing it's a few years old and may only support WEP as a method of WiFi security.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TORPC
Grafter

it may be worth checking to see if the WiFI card on the Toshiba laptop has the latest drivers installed
anotherbob
Grafter

Thank you both for your thoughts. As long as the network is secure I'm content. As to the Toshiba's age (and the card drivers) it was working OK on WPA-PSK on my network.
picbits
Rising Star

As above - I've seen issues with older drivers on cards refusing to connect to some routers.
Worth an update before chasing your tail on other issues.
*Edit - try and avoid WEP as it is pretty insecure. It will stop the random driveby access to your router / network but give the kids 5 minutes and they will soon be through it if they want to be.
Even using WEP is a beacon to some that you could be an easy target.
Possibly consider using a small USB dongle for your wireless if your internal card doesn't support the better encryption.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

WPA2 is older than Vista.
picbits
Rising Star

Indeed but again, some network card drivers seem to be older then Windows 3.1 when they get ported over Wink
It is one of the easier things to check and update and often sorts the issue.
anotherbob
Grafter

Thanks again.
The odd thing is that the Toshiba laptop had been used on my own network secured by WPA2 ever since it was new.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Anotherbob,
Your last post ruled out my thoughts - our VISTA laptop does not 'like' WPA2 / channel bonding.
I have a number of devices and APs - one of which dual-bands (if that is the right term) when set to WPA2.  All devices except the VISTA one work fine against any AP in any configuration.  The VISTA platform only appears to connect the TG285n.
One other thought, some laptop WiFi cards will not function on channels 12 & 13 - what channel is the AP set to?

HTH.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.