cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem after moving to ADSL2+

LynnB
Dabbler

Problem after moving to ADSL2+

I've recently moved to to ADSL2+ after changing to Plusnet Extra.  I have been with Plusnet for sometime and have always had a pretty stable connection.  However, since changing to ADSL2+ I'm getting good speeds all day but something changes overnight & every morning the line is so slow that sometimes I can't even carry out a speed test. I find myself having to reboot the router every day to get the speed back to what it was before & everything is OK until the next morning. 
I don't know much about the technical side of things but I have noticed a change in the router stats.  The DSL path seems to switch between fast and interleaved but I get the problem whichever it is.  These are the stats from this earlier this morning before I rebooted the router:

DSL Status:    Connected
DSL Modulation Mode:    MultiMode
DSL Path Mode:    Fast
Downstream Rate:    15226 kbps
Upstream Rate:    446 kbps
Downstream Margin:      2147483647 db
Upstream Margin:      24 db
Downstream Line Attenuation:    20 db
Upstream Line Attenuation:    4.5 db
Downstream Transmit Power:    11 db
Upstream Transmit Power:    23 db
and these are the current stats:
DSL Status:  Connected
DSL Modulation Mode: MultiMode
DSL Path Mode: Fast
Downstream Rate: 15226 kbps
Upstream Rate: 446 kbps
Downstream Margin: 9 db
Upstream Margin: 10 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 20 db
Upstream Line Attenuation: 5 db
Downstream Transmit Power: 11 db
Upstream Transmit Power: 23 db

Does anyone know what the problem is and how I can correct it?  Do I need a new router?  I have a Linksys WAG200G that is about 3 years old and is supposed to be compatible with ADSL2+.
3 REPLIES 3
Hary
Grafter

Re: Problem after moving to ADSL2+

I've got the 200G and it does have a setting for ADSL2+ and ADSL2+ Annex M, not that I need it on ADSL.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_Digital_Subscriber_Line_2_Plus
Can't wait for someone to explain this  Downstream Margin:      2147483647 db

itsme
Grafter

If you search these forums you will find the answer  Smiley Or I can tell you it's -1dB. 2147483647=7FFFFFFF in Hex which equal -1
itsme
Grafter

After reading and putting my brain into gear after posting what I put above is wrong -1=FFFFFFFF but as the modem ignore the sign bit it become 7FFFFFFF which is the maximum positive number of 2147483647