cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem With Thomson TG585 v8 connection dropping

EmH

Problem With Thomson TG585 v8 connection dropping

I've been using a TG585 v8 since I joined Plusnet back in July 2011.
My network is currently very simple, with just one laptop used on the network via a wireless network card, and a smartphone. The network uses DHCP with the router as the DHCP server. The laptop has been used on the network from the beginning, and the smartphone was added several months ago. The problem with the router began around two weeks ago. Nothing had changed immediately prior to the problem beginning.
The router is using version 8.2.7.8 firmware, and has been since I upgraded it when I first got it. The laptop is Vista Home Premium SP2.
The problem I am having is that the laptop loses connection to the internet (and the router) every night, or if not used for several hours at a time. My smartphone remains connected and is still able to access the Internet. The laptop shows as still being connected to the home network but I am unable to ping the router (request timed out, or destination host unreachable), and I have no connectivity to the internet, or to other devices on the network. Once I left the laptop switched on and downloading and the connection remained up, but if the laptop is switched on and not actively connected to the internet, or is hibernated or switched off, the connection drops every night, and sometimes during the day too.
Whilst experiencing the connection problem, if I release the IP address on the laptop wireless card I can then not renew it, getting a message saying the DHCP server failed to respond. If I disconnect from the home network and try to reconnect, the computer usually claims to have reconnected but the home network is now shown as an "Unidentified" public network instead of my named private network, and I still have no access to anything, including being able to ping the router.
Rebooting the laptop doesn't help. I've tried various other approaches such as disabling group N on the router and changing channels, all to no avail. I've also disabled and re-enabled the laptop wi-fi card, and deleted it and reinstalled it. Neither approach helped.
I'm reasonably skilled working with network equipment, ip address, ip tools such as ipconfig and network fault finding, but the only way I have been able to resolve this problem is by disconnecting the laptop from the home network, restarting the router and then reconnecting. It then connects straight away with immediate access to the internet.
I'm getting a bit tired of having to reboot my router every day before I can use my laptop and I'd appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, or help, please.
6 REPLIES 6
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Problem With Thomson TG585 v8 connection dropping

If you can find the properties of the wi-fi card, see if there are any settings relating to power saving and, if so, turn them off (there may also be option in the advanced part of power manegement).  I suspect the wi-fi card could be going into a power saving mode (maybe the driver has had an update?).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
EmH

OK, thanks, I've done that now. The only power saving setting that was on was to allow the laptop to shut off wireless when running on battery (which my laptop rarely does), but it's worth a try.
dick:quote
EmH

I meant to add that I checked the wi-fi card driver and it was up-to-date.
The laptop I am using is several years old and has never done this before. There are no relevant errors in the event logs. No new software was installed just prior to the start of the problem, and no configuration changes were made, so I'm a bit stumped.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Maybe, just maybe, worth a look at this article.  I just remembered having trouble with one Vista laptop when I used the TG585v8 (oddly another Vista laptop at the same time didn't have the problem):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
EmH

Thanks. I'm unsure why it would suddenly start happening with a laptop/router combination that have been working fine for nearly a year, but it's worth considering. That's the confusing part because as far as I can see, nothing has changed, (not even any minor software updates).
However, I did take the laptop away for a week immediately prior to the problem occurring, and had it connected briefly to a different wireless network using a TG585v7. Everything was fine before I went away. It started acting up when I got back. I definitely don't have a virus and I didn't manually change the laptop configuration whilst I was away, but maybe something happened. Or maybe it's some kind of issue with the router or with PN.
Either way, I had several days of problems but it's not happened for the last two nights so I'm hoping I can write it off to being "one of those things".
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Or maybe it's some kind of issue with the router or with PN.

To check if the fault is with the connection in the general or just with wifi you'd need to try connecting up via an ethernet cable, if the same fault does not ocurr its then obviously related to wireless connectivity.
If it is try changing the wireless channel manually or factory resetting the router. Othewise do let us know what happens when you try that and we can advise further! Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team