Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Probable BE Refugee - some questions

tonycollinet
Grafter

Probable BE Refugee - some questions

Hi All
Nice to see some old names.  Smiley
Was with plusnet a couple or three years ago, when I left. Support was great - I just couldn't live with the shaping that was in place at the time. Well now things that go around, come around, and BE are being sold to sky.
I've vowed that Murdoch will never get a penny of my money, so I need to find an alternative - and now that Plusnet seem to have removed shaping from the unlimited products - they/you are looking favourite. However, some questions, cos I can't remember 3 weeks ago, let alone 3 years.  Roll_eyes

Is the service truly unlimited, no throttling on any protocol, including p2p? - what about fair use policy?
With throttling removed, is there likely to be any slowdown in the evenings.
My Exchange is LLU - do plusnet use LLU kit or will I be forced back onto BT DSLAMs? (Unfortunately although the exchnge is fibre enabled, my cabinet has been missed out - so that is not an option at the moment.
With BE, I can control my own fast path and noise margin settings. I'm not expecting noise margin,  but can fast path be enabled?
Static IP available if needed?
Any charge likely for migration from BE?
On ADSL2, I get pretty close to 20MB/s download sync - what upload is offered?
What is the minimum contract term (Would quite like to check it out for a month or two before committing)

Thanks All.
18 REPLIES 18
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Probable BE Refugee - some questions

Quote from: tonycollinet

Is the service truly unlimited, no throttling on any protocol, including p2p? - what about fair use policy? No FUP, no protocol throttling at Plusnet's end although prioritisation still applies at user level
With throttling removed, is there likely to be any slowdown in the evenings. Shouldn't be although there are some gateway problems at present which are being investigated
My Exchange is LLU - do plusnet use LLU kit or will I be forced back onto BT DSLAMs? (Unfortunately although the exchnge is fibre enabled, my cabinet has been missed out - so that is not an option at the moment. No LLU so will be on BT DSLAM although the IP profile change is now instantaneous assuming your exchange is 21CN enabled unlike the Plusnet mirror which still takes its time
With BE, I can control my own fast path and noise margin settings. I'm not expecting noise margin,  but can fast path be enabled? Fast path can be enabled and providing the line is stable will stick
Static IP available if needed? On unlimited for a £5 one off charge
Any charge likely for migration from BE? Plusnet £25 activation charge but with a 12 month contract for broadband and phone that is waived and if you use a MAC there shouldn't be a charge from BE
On ADSL2, I get pretty close to 20MB/s download sync - what upload is offered? Assuming your exchange is 21CN enabled then then about 1,000kbps

Thanks All.
shalom2010
Grafter

Hi Tony, I came from BE one month ago and am now on Fibre there's plenty of answers at Plusnet's FAQ pages - http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/faqs/
But here's the answers in my opinion, I'm sure plenty of the folk here will say I'm wrong but hey at least I've tried to help!
Is the service truly unlimited, no throttling on any protocol, including p2p? - what about fair use policy?
Yes it really is line speed, but at the moment there are network issues which has caused some slowdown in the evening, but I'm 99% sure this will be resolved. There is a Fair Use Policy http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/aup.html, but not sure if this is up to date?
My Exchange is LLU - do plusnet use LLU kit or will I be forced back onto BT DSLAMs?
Not sure about this one, I know Plusnet use Gateways, but maybe they lead to BT?Huh
With BE, I can control my own fast path and noise margin settings. I'm not expecting noise margin,  but can fast path be enabled?
Not on ADSL myself so, unsure again.
Static IP available if needed?
Yes this is available once you your connection is alive & working, there is a £5 one off set up fee.
On ADSL2, I get pretty close to 20MB/s download sync - what upload is offered?
Again not sure see here - http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/
Good luck with your decision, I'm glad I moved to Plusnet even though there are a few issues right now. For me it was only a little more expensive (£2) than BE & now I've gone from 18Mpbs - 57Mbps.
thomasjc1
Grafter

I have just left sky on a 18mb connection and I got fibre with plusnet on Tuesday it's brilliant I get 73mb and I use p2p and no probs
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

As Oldjim said there is *no* FUP. Rather a brief answer from Plusnet but...
[quote=http://community.plus.net/unlimited-faq/#3]
Do the Unlimited products have a fair usage policy?
No.
David
shalom2010
Grafter

As I said I would be corrected! Sorry if I got anything wrong Smiley
picbits
Rising Star

I made the move from BE last month, it's been pretty reliable (FTTC)
Having said that, my BT test is showing that I have an 18Mb download and 9Mb upload speed with a latency of 48ms (wired connection) - my connection seems to slow down a bit during the evening from the usual 65Mb/18Mb.
One thing I will says is watch the random charges BE seem to come up with when you leave - I was told there would be nothing to pay other than the rest of the month rental but they came up with three seperate random charges each of which were cancelled when questioned about it.
You will also find yourself cut off from any invoices, tickets and the BE forum the moment your connection moves over to Plusnet even if you are till paying for the rest of your contract.
Overall a pretty postive experience with Plusnet so far.
tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I also came over from be last month and so far am loving it.
Service has been excellent and my fibre connection has exceeded expectation. Excellent pings for gaming and line speed on all traffic types at all times.
Haven't noticed any slow down, seems rock solid at 73mb.
Take the jump buddy you won't regret it, and given be's recent activity with chucking people off their unlimited service for downloading too much and now the sky acquisition I wouldn't hang around!
Bright
Grafter

Also moved over last month and happy so far.  I had the same problem with Be billing my credit card an apparently random amount at the end of the contract. And I couldn't get into the portal any longer to see my bill. It was sorted out on the phone and refunded but it seems to be common practice!
The slow-down mentioned by picbits and Oldjim seems to be a technical fault, and will hopefully be resolved very soon. More info here.
picbits
Rising Star

Currently down to 8Mb download speed (from 65Mb earlier) but still faster than me old BE connection  Grin
I understand that these glitches happen and the staff are quite open about what is happening on the forums so I'm not too worried.
tonycollinet
Grafter

See, that's what I remember about plusnet - fantastic user forums. Only two hours on, and 9 replies - and that is even before plusnet staff get invoved.

Thanks all - will probably be joining you in due course.
picbits
Rising Star

There is currently £28 cashback through quidco or topcashback for new signups.
On a positive note, I reconnected to a different gateway on my FTTC and I'm back up to 65mb/s downloads and 5ms ping times.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

And don't forget the referral scheme.  Wink
(though I don't think you can refer yourself when you return  Crazy )
picbits
Rising Star

I don't think you can go through quidco and a referral but I could be wrong.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: tonycollinet
See, that's what I remember about plusnet - fantastic user forums.

That's what I remember about BE.