Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro add-on: is it working properly?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Pro add-on: is it working properly?

It is my understanding that with the Pro add-on I should not see any rate limiting or other restrictions in the speed and that iPlayer downloads should be near line speed at all times. Certainly this was my experience on PAYG prior to changing to Extra with the Pro add-on. Could someone from Plusnet confirm that my understanding is correct please.
I just have the feeling that things don't feel as quick now as they did on PAYG. I have a rock solid 8128 sync with a 7150 IP Profile and suspect due to the time iPlayer downloads are taking that I'm not seeing the 800KBps that I was used to on PAYG.
I'd be interested in the opinions of other users with the Pro add-on - does it do what it says on the tin?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
62 REPLIES 62
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Pro add-on: is it working properly?

What do you get from here?
This is mine...
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i tried it for 2 weeks , & found no difference from my normal extra  Embarrassed  i do a lot of gaming , & watch bbc i player, streaming  & found connection no better.
so decided for the extra cost it was not worth it  Huh
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
thisoldman
Grafter

i do not really have the technical competence to do this topic justice .If you read my post dear adam etc   you might find some clues.
Initially I was not geeting the same streaming speed as  my d/l speed. This was because i was using a wireless connection and it was not optimized correctly.
Using   http://speedguide.net     tcp optimizer     i now get streaming speed the same as my d/l speed,, but the  tcp-optimizer page is so so technical its away above my head in terms of the things you can do. I took the easy option and let it do what it wanted.
To cut a long story short yes the add on does do what it says on the tin, but whether you will ever get those sort of streaming speeds is a source of debate on the net, as most sites have their own d/l    streaming speeds and the bbc tell me that at peak time and depending on what
iplayer show you choose, the streaming speed  can be variable
In my  non tech experience using a cable was better than wlan and avoiding peak times was essential...The bbc advice was not to stream but to download the desktop application.
If you look at the speedguide net tcp-optimizer page help, then im sure the more tech savy of you will be able to make the necessay adjustments to your pc.
the bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnstics        speeds are purely theoretical    what I think we need is some program/software which shows the actual d/l speed of a stream/video in real time. ms d/loads shows d/l spped so why cant video sites show streaming speeds?
But then again as I have tried to say in here on many many occassions  d/l speed  is totally meaningless as the web and its sites all have their own  d/ l    streaming......etc etc  speeds.
thisoldman
Grafter

i have colleagues in the usa  canada  brazil    japan who like a lot of people in here post their d/l speed.
I wouldn't go as far as saying they are boasting of speeds of 50mb 30 mb etc etc,   
But they are simply deluded.
All a speedtest does is show you the theoretical speed your line is in theory capable of. It in no way guarantees/suggests you will ever get anything near these so called miracle speeds for the reasons i have given above.
The japanguy with 50mb actually took longer to d/l a video tan myself on 8mb.  Various reasons for that.  Just dont be fooled by speedtest or my broadbandspeed.
All the add on does is guarantee no traffic management and to give you line speed what ever that means on the net.
These are some of the vast arguments involved in net neutrality
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@Jaggies - see attached
I'll have to run this again in the evening and see if it is still the same
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Usenet speeds - evenings

I'm on Plusnet Extra with Pro add-on, according to this page here https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml usenet is gold rated and normally I get full line speed (500-600 Kb/s). Recently I've noticed that around 7pm (give or take a few minutes) the speed drops to around 15 Kb/s which is virtually useless. This drop in speed doesn't happen slowly, its as though somebody throws a switch and the speed goes from full to almost nothing in an instant.
I know sometime ago on different accounts usenet was throttled on a time basis and this seems to be a similar sort of thing. Could someone from PN confirm this speed throttling is correct or is there a problem. I've done line speed checks after 7pm and they are OK so it's just a usenet problem.
Paul
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Re: Usenet speeds - evenings

Interesting!
I have similar suspicions re iPlayer downloads. See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96734.0.html
I'm wondering if we want these topics merged?
paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv

I see no one from PN has answered that question yet so perhaps it might help.
JEB
Grafter

@paulgul
What time does it speed up again?
I'm on Pro with FTTC and although on peak usenet speeds don't always max out my 4.3MB/s connection it is still very fast (i.e. several times your total line speed).

James
paulgul
Rising Star

I can't give an exact time, but I've done some scheduled downloads that start around 30 minutes after midnight and they've been ok.
Paul
dick:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Looks like I need to run the BBC diagnostic test before and just after midnight.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: jelv

Threads merged.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: Strat
Threads merged.

Hmm, wondering if it would have been better to have this thread moved to the Broadband sub forum, seems to me threads on this forum are getting ignored by PN
Paul
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: paulgul
Hmm, wondering if it would have been better to have this thread moved to the Broadband sub forum

I thought so too Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine