Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro Add-on with Fibre?

NatTheGooner
Grafter

Pro Add-on with Fibre?

Hi
Is anyone using the Pro add on with their Fibre Optic package?
We could be moving over to Fibre next month and the Pro add on is great on our current ADSL package - games never worked very well until we paid the extra fiver.
I know that I shouldn't need it but I was wondering if anyone has it and what difference it made on fibre.
Thanks
19 REPLIES 19
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Pro Add-on with Fibre?

Fibre unlimited gives titanium for gaming so you shouldn't need the pro addon, however if you have a long line, interleaving is more than likely to mess up your game because of the error correction. Anyway have a mooch through the plusnet traffic management guide.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Im on the Fibre Unlimited package and have found the gaming experience to be fine without the Pro addon.
Pings can be single digit to UK servers even in peak evening hours but are typically between 20-35 for most games I've played hosted in Europe.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I've always had a 2 digit ping ms how'd you make it single?Huh
around 18ms when speed testing
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NatTheGooner
Grafter

Quote from: Tokey
Im on the Fibre Unlimited package and have found the gaming experience to be fine without the Pro addon.
Pings can be single digit to UK servers even in peak evening hours but are typically between 20-35 for most games I've played hosted in Europe.

Thanks for the replies
My ping on ADSL is good - about 18ms. A new cabinet has been installed about 70 meters away so I guess I'd be connected to that somehow.
What I'm trying to work out is if you could have the Pro Add On for free would you take it, or is there a downside to it on fibre - ie Interleaving, not sure what that is exactly...
Plusnet have told me that the Fibre package I want will cost me £7 pm more than my current 12meg ADSL, but if I then find I need to add the Pro option it then jumps to an extra £12 pm and that's not worth it just for a bit more speed.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

You don't need Pro.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
NatTheGooner
Grafter

OK, I don't need it, but if it was added what benefits would I see.
I'm guessing that Plusnet wouldn't sell a placebo to a fibre customer.
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the 'Unlimited' package, if you were running your connection at full capacity, AND you also happened to be playing an online game which had not yet been classified as having a gaming high priority profile, then you might notice an improvement in gaming response.
The 'Pro add-on', was intended for previous generation legacy products, many of which had evening rate limiting on certain protocols (such as P2P and FTP), the addition of the 'Pro add-on' effectively removed those product rate limitations.
On the current 'Unlimited' product, the add-on is largely irrelevant, as no traffic is shaped (speed limited) and the vast majority of traffic is correctly prioritized.
NatTheGooner
Grafter

OK
That makes sense now.
There are benefits but if you're on Fibre it's not worth paying for.
Thanks for your help.
I'm going to post a question about the modem and router I'd get when moving to fibre, if anyone could help with that I'd appreciate it.
Thanks again.
flaminmoses
Grafter

PN need to cap the number of users per gateway....or in other words get more gateways
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: NatTheGooner
I'm going to post a question about the modem and router I'd get when moving to fibre, if anyone could help with that I'd appreciate it.

New question about modem and router is here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,117394
To avoid any confusion.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: flaminmoses
PN need to cap the number of users per gateway....or in other words get more gateways

eh?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Anyone want to respond to my post regarding pings ms?
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Anonymous
Not applicable

No !,  how about starting your own thread about your new topic !  Crazy
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I don't see why when its related to this topic  Roll_eyes