cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer Inactive!!

PB64

Printer Inactive!!

Hi, I have recently signed up to plusnet and at the same time brought a HP wireless printer. All connected fine but after a short while the printer went offline. The only way of getting it on line was to reboot the router. Thinking this was a router problem I sent an e-mail to Plusnet, (the phone queue was over 30minutes long). Plusnet sent a new router which I connected with out a problem but still the printer went off line. Now thinking it must be a printer problem I exchanged the printer for another HP same model printer. Same problem, so I exchanged it for another HP different model. Same problem, now convinced it must be an HP problem I today exchanged for a cannon MP990 which cost loads more than I wanted to spend but I just need to print…. Yep you guessed it; the printer still goes offline after a couple of minutes…
The router is a TG585 V8. I have three laptops connected to the router and they seem fine. I have tried to call Plusnet but the queues again were over 30 minutes so have sent an email to them but have been informed of a 24hr wait…
Does anyone have any ideas?? Would a better router help, I just need the problem solved, I am self employed and can’t afford the fortune I have spent on time, running around trying to sort this out, and now annoyingly buying a better printer.
Thanks and kind regards
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Printer Inactive!!

Please try updating the router firmware as explained here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92497.0.html
PB64

Thanks Jim, that was so quick Smiley
I will try it, thank you.
PB64

Hi Jim,
the firm ware is running on 8.2.7.7 and not 8.2.7.8. Its not obvious to me how to upgrade the software, any chance you could give me a pointer.
Thanks Phil
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

PB64

Sorry, yes I see it... Could it actually be any more obvious...
Mav
Fixes: 514

I have had the same issue with an HP wireless printer I bought in September. It wouldn't always go offline but frequently did with both the NetGear DG834G and Thompson v7. Usually using the printer's SetUp wizard resolved this - inconvenient but back then I just didn't have the time to take the printer back.
The last time I turned the printer on a week or so aga it connected immediately Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still