cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pricing

union477

Pricing

Can someone please explain how you decide your rates.
I currently pay for 8mgs (usually 3.5 - 5mbs) and 85 gig download capacity.
This costs me nearly £70pm.
Virgin are offering 8mps (via land line) with no download restrictions whatsoever at £9 per month for the first year following by £14.99 pm thereafter.
No wonder I am migrating...
6 REPLIES 6
James
Grafter

Re: Pricing

Hi there,
Because of the way our products are designed, you are essentially paying us for what you use.  Because you are using a large amount during peak times of the day, then you are paying for this amount of usage.
Obviously, our products aren't for everyone and it is of course perfectly possible that you will be able to find a more suitable product elsewhere.  Do be aware though that Virgin's unlimited service is not unlimited.  See here for further details.
However, should you be willing to schedule your downloads to off peak times of the day, you would still be able to download similar amounts, but for a fraction of the price that you are currently paying!
Please do let me know if there is anything further I can do to assist.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

paulby
Grafter

Virgin are offering 8mps (via land line) with no download restrictions whatsoever

...not quite....
It's unlimited* (with an asterisk!).
See their traffic management policy here.
There's also an AUP in the T's and C's (section F) which allows for disconnection if you're deemed to be a heavy downloader.
union477

Hmmmmm

Interesting.    Not what it seems at first glance at all.  I think I mind just hold fire a while.
zubel
Community Veteran

Echoing Jameseh's sentiments - Plusnet cannot offer a service that is perfect for every user.
Virgin may very well be a more suitable choice for you, but as has been highlighted in the preceding posts their service is not unlimited.
There have been several migrations to Plusnet from Virgin recently and most were complaining of not even being able to reach their 'capped' speed, let alone line speed. (see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,58472.msg476460.html#msg476460 as one example)
The Thinkbroadband site is an excellent site to get user-generated experiences of various ISPs.  If you are convinced that Plusnet is not the ISP for you, I would suggest that you head on over there and do some serious research about your intended ISP.
B.
mar7t1n
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

All ISP's who use BT lines pay, BT Wholesale prices, and these prices are all based on usage not speed. So I don't think anyone will sustain someone using 85G+ a month for long. Personally I'm not entirely sure how you manage to use quite so much. I typically use under 4G a month, and my maximum usage was one day over Christmas when I clocked up 690MB. Which is still only 20Gb a month if I did it every day. So where does it go?
I guess like anything which is metered in life you need to ask - "Do I really need to use quite so much?".
Typically that sort of usage would be associated either with running a website via your own PC, in which case you could probably host it cheaper elsewhere.
Or your downloading media. In which case you can set up your machine to do it overnight when the network is less clogged and PlusNet give unmeatered usage and save yourself a packet.
If it's neither of these then I'd check for a virus pumping out yet more unwanted spam into the world.