cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pretty bad ADSL, compared to previous provider

abworrall

Pretty bad ADSL, compared to previous provider

Hi ! My previous ADSL provider was delivering 7 Mbps down, 0.5 mbps up.

I moved to plus.net, plugged in the new router, and things worked OK, but the download bandwidth immediately dropped to 3.5 Mbps. I'm guessing that has to be a problem at the plus.net level, since no wires have been changed, and it previously ran at 7 Mbps.

In the past few days, this has become a lot worse - 0.18 Mbps down, 0.00 Mbps up, with bad ping times (>250ms) - I've attached the report from speedtest.btwholesale.com. It's not usable for video chat.

Is there any way I can get plus.net to look into this without needing to sit on the phone for a few hours ?

Thanks,

- Adam

1 REPLY 1
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Pretty bad ADSL, compared to previous provider

Hi @abworrall

thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your connection. I've run some tests on your line this afternoon which are showing the speeds you've quoted above. the download sync speed is coming through at around 0.24Mbps.

something I've noted though is that the SNR Margin on the line is ridiculously high, despite the Target SNRM being quite low (3dB), There'll most likely be an underlying issue causing this, which is the reason that your speeds are so low at the moment.

As you#ve confirmed that no wires have been changed at the master socket, I've now ordered a new router to be sent out to you, arriving within 3-5 working days. the £6.99 P&P fee has also been waived on this occasion. See how you get on with the new router, if the situation does not improve, please let us know and we'll raise this matter with our suppliers.I've created an open Ticket on your account, please respond to it once you've tried the new router and let us know how you're getting on.

I'll pop my KBD results onto this post for your reference.

KBD
xDSL Status Check
Circuit ID:   Service ID:  
Telephone NO.: NA Test Executed On: 02-08-2021 15:29:02
xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 13.5 26.5
SNR Margin: 8.5 31.5
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 848 1643
Speed: 575 244

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 2272 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 2272
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 2400
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 4547
Custom Thresholds
MTBR_RED: MTBE_RED:
MTBR_GREEN: MTBE_GREEN:
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds