cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-trial speed loss

Chapster
Grafter

Pre-trial speed loss

Hi, after a few tickets to PN support (I think) I have found my answers on this forum.
Last Friday or Saturday my broadband speed dropped to under 250.
1. New Router Belkin N+ (Because I didn’t have much confidence in my old router).
2. Started Support Ticket Sunday because no change.
3. Tests by PN = High SNR 23db
4. Router plugged directly into test socket no phones just router and filter=No Change
5. Tests by PN = tests ok
6. No Change still less than 250kbps
7. No confirmation of 21CN trial.

• 1.3 km approx from exchange
• In the past had speeds of over 4000 kbps, but had problems on Tiscali LLU so got maxed
• Dropped to 2500 kbps speed when migrated to maxDSL
• Recent Tests BT IP PROFILE says 1750 kbps
• Recent PN IP PROFILE says 250 kbps
• Recent BT test Sync Speed Download= 2268 kbps Upload= 712 kbps

Ok from what I understand from the forum, Bt downgrade line just before activation. I accept that cos hopefully speeds will go up again.
My Questions now are:
I have tried the  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php  using the attuation from router info see attached
1. Because of my High SNR 20db i will lose a lot of speed, am i correct?
2.How can i reduce the SNR (bad even when plugged in test socket)?
3. Would a BT I-Plate help with the noise?

43 REPLIES 43
scootie
Grafter

Re: Pre-trial speed loss

o.k can you resync you line ( would be helpful so we can see your noise margin target staright after resync on you current setup) and grab the same stats from the second attachment you added and then again at the test socket and grab your stats again.
Have you tried a spare filter?
1. yes its holding you sync down ( we need to work out why its raised your noise margin to 15 / 18db  Undecided )
2. as said above did you also try a spare filter to rule that out (you have all ready ruled out a faulty router )
3.the idea of runing at the test socket is because you remove the front face plate which has any extension wiring connected to. so it removes the extension wiring from the circuit when you use the test socket. so in theroy no improvment at test socket means an i plate wouldnt likely do any thing
i am going to give some one who loves to get there teeth into line stats a nudge.
they dont seem to like coming in the trial section even after being told we dont bite Grin
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

To add to Asbo's comments.
Since ADSL Type says G992_5_A you are already on the trial with your line using ADSL2+, and having an upload sync speed higher than 448kbps confirms this. Your speed problem is the PN Profile being 250kbps when it should be 1750kbps (the same as that from the BT Performance Test). The Plusnet profile should automatically update within 12 hours following changes in BT's value. If automatic update hasn't happened by tomorrow morning it will need to be manually reset.
When you checked use of the test socket was that simply a speedtest? Until profiles get updated, which can take several days speedtests won't show any change.
David
David
scootie
Grafter

gd spot spraxyt.  Wink
i just read the sync atten and snr stats. overlooked that the OP can get a quick speed boost from PN profile matching BT profile
i should of had that coffee before posting and not after
if you can get one of the following programs to work with your router that will help us see what your snr is doing
http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm two version of this full and lite
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv8.htm also 2 versions of this
Chapster
Grafter

Thanks ASBO DOG & David for your promt replies i have been waiting days with the support guys to get this type of answers.
ASBO DOG .....I will do some more tests at the weekend (wife also works from home and nolike me playing with the internet ;))
David.....I have questioned support about PN profile compared to BT profile and whether or not i was on the 21CN trial....they never answered me :-X. Thanks ( actually i think it was one of your posts that made me ask the question) .
ASBO DOG .....I  tried  DMTv8 yesturday am. It logs in but says cliinfo missing (or something like that)in the bottom lefthand corner. I telneted as well but no commands seem to work.
Tried all the secret pages for belkin on the Kitz website, no go either????
I will try the other program you mentioned but i think the BELKIN N+ doesnt support this type of thing(brought in a panic last sunday from PC World probably would have got a Draytek otherwise).
Thanks again after 6 days its refreshing to get constructive replies.
Regards
Steve
I will carry on trying the programs, you never know.
PS I have just noticed the times of your posts.....are you two on the nightshift at PN????
James
Grafter

Technically they don't work for us Wink
We may not see ASBO DIOG again until this afternoon Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

James, can you kick his profile, that doesn't look right
Edit: And I nearly posted last night, but got sidetracked, so that's 3 of us Wink
Chapster
Grafter

LOL .....yeah i dont blame him, I was only around  untill 1.30am... I feel like going back to the sack.
James
Grafter

I feel like that most mornings Smiley
By the way, I've moved your profile at our end to 1750Kbps, to match that of BT.
If you give your router a reboot, hopefully you should see an improvement.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As soon as you've resynced can you grab a set of linestats and post. Don't need speedtests.
Chapster
Grafter

Sorry had to test coudnt help myself  Cheesy
Chapster
Grafter

I wouldnt normally get excited about  a 1500kbps speed but when its been 213kbps for so long Cheesy Youve made my day Thanks. The wife might start talking to me again now Roll_eyes dont know if thats gooed or bad?
James
Grafter

It should definitely be a lot better still!
Can you keep an eye on the downstream noise margin over the weekend and see if you notice a downward change?
If your noise margin reduces, you should see an improvement in speed.
Chapster
Grafter

Ok James... will do. Thanks again
Chapster
Grafter

Just noticed the UPSTREAM Attenuation, it was 270(approx) just a minute ago, now 3.4.  Is this normal?