cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power cut causes strange things to happen with TG582

ponyman1
Dabbler

Power cut causes strange things to happen with TG582

Several times I have had problems following a power cut with devices not functioning properly. I have now discovered that the devices that don't work have been assigned IP addresses in the 192.168.0. range as opposed to 192.168.1. This is happening with both wired and wireless devices. I have yet to find a way of fixing this apart from just leaving things for a while (many hours).
Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Power cut causes strange things to happen with TG582

Maybe there is a way - I dont know but something to try if we are talking  wifi devices might be to go into router admin
and in the Network section you can go to devices then configure  -- there you can see the IP number.
I cant change that on mine  but  I can delete the device.
Once deleted it can be set up again using the button on the router then check the IP again.
If it is in the correct range then you should be ok.
 Below the IP number is a box you can tick to keep that number so if you are prone to this happening often
then if you tick it it might save it. (I say might as I have not tested it.)
If that works it will be minutes rather than hours - please let us know.

EDIT having just looked  it should also work with ethernet connected devices  and there is the box to tick.

ponyman1
Dabbler

I think I have worked out what is happening. I have a wireless access point connected (wired) to the router. I suspect that this reboots faster than the TG582 and takes on the role of router making the TG582 effectively a subordinate access point.
Does this sound likely?
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I have a wireless access point connected ..........

You need to login to the WAP and disable the dhcp server.
Also on the WAP you need to set it an IP address in the correct subnet (192.168.1.xxx) but outside the IP range that the TG582 uses (try 192.168.1.222)
Then login to the TG582 and ensure the DHCP range is set to hand out the addresses (192.168.1.1 to 99)
Ian
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

That is sound logical advice from Ian.
It would also imply that your other wifi AP has never been optimally configured.  There ought to be only one DHCP server configured in such a network and all APs should be in the same subnet.  If they have the same wifi SSID and pass phrase, devices will freely roam retaining theer IP address.

Sorry cedlor, but IP address reservation has no relevance here... which is what I'm guessing you were thinking of there?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cedlor
Grafter

Quote from: Townman

Sorry cedlor, but IP address reservation has no relevance here... which is what I'm guessing you were thinking of there?

Not sure what i was thinking, perhaps only that the router had somehow  garbled  reserved IP addresses and that might  be a way of  fixing it.
Had the OP mentioned he was connecting through a WAP I  wouldnt even have replied as I have no experience of using a WAP.
I did wonder why the situation would change over 4 hours  though.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Experience... Seen similar situations before, though what usually happens is the device locks onto a neighbour's unsecured network, which has a different subnet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.