Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential new customer

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Potential new customer

A good friend is wishing to leave Virgin Media after a number of lengthy disconnections.
He's been posting on Facebook about his issues and I recommended Plusnet....yeah...I know Undecided
He phoned PN and was told there would be a £50 charge for a BT line which he tells me he has.
I suggested he call 17070 to retrieve the number on the line....
many thanks. Getting a dialing sound on bt line will try that

i have rung the number got my BT number for the dead line, rung Plusnet and their computer still says no line to this property but i have just used it to call plusnet

The discussion is ongoing.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
14 REPLIES 14
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Potential new customer

If BTOR's computer systems says no ...  Huh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran

He's passed me the number and it checks out as a non-BT line Sad which prsumably means a £49.99 charge for moving it.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If the line responds to 17070 it's a BTw line whatever else the systems say. Sounds like it's a Stopped line for which there should be no charge! How did you deduce it's a non-BT line Dick?
Strat
Community Veteran

When I put his number into this...
Welcome to the Broadband Availability checker. This will provide a provisional check of your ability to receive reliable Broadband services.
Please enter your telephone number.
There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line.
Anotherone
Champion

I think that will appear on a stopped line, which usually has dial-tone anyway. As for making 0800 calls on a stopped line, interesting, never tried that or thought of it, but I bet no other calls can be made on it?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: Anotherone
If the line responds to 17070 it's a BTw line whatever else the systems say.

I believe that Talktalk LLU lines respond to 17070 but not as we know it.  You do not get line test facilities, but it does identify the line number.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

I haven't been on a TalkTalk line for years, so can't confirm either way then.
Estragon
Rising Star

Sky LLU lines do. The 17070 test is slightly different for them.
I don't think TT do 17070.
Anotherone
Champion

I've checked on TalkTalk, it only gives the number and no options. I'm going to check Sky just for the record.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

On the BTw checker LLU lines give
Quote from: Strat
There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

As Dick said in reply #4.
Just to be clearer, on a BTw line the announcement is " This circuit is identified as <telephone number>" It then says "BT Line Test facilities" and then gives options.
Anotherone
Champion

I'm told that on a Sky line it should give the following options -
1) Caller Display Information
2) How well I can hear you talking
3) Digital Tones
4) Echo or Noise problems
So that should help narrow it down Dick.
If it's actually a working LLU line (you can make calls other than 0800), there should be no charge - see the Plusnet Talk price guide
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Anotherone
I haven't been on a TalkTalk line for years, so can't confirm either way then.

When I was with TalkTalk a year or two back, they did have 17070. But it only gave the line number, no tests.
Also, I believe there was a code you could enter to switch over to the BT 17070 test and then switch back again, as I saw a BTOR engineer apparently doing just this to carry out the  BT Line Test at my home and then revert to TalkTalk.
Anotherone
Champion

That comes as no surprise, there are quite a few engineering codes to do all sorts of things, a lot of which will/may have changed since I last had a tinker.