cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postini Email Security Trial

puposet

Re: Postini Email Security Trial

Something odd happened yesterday or the day before.  I was migrated to Postini on 12/12, so this is not a migration issue.  The volume of spam coming through was still normal, about 50 per day, until the morning of 21 Dec when it suddenly dropped to  more like 10 a day, where it is still. 
Since then I am aware of 3 genuine emails that failed to arrive, although a couple did get through.  None of the spams now arriving have Postini headers, but prior to 21/12 many did, and the genuine messages that get through still do.
Tim Jackson
StevenP
Dabbler

I'm guessing you were in the last batch of people moved across to Postini when something went wrong.
See:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,57643.msg477720.html#msg477720
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1198230252.htm
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1198236713.htm
Can you confirm that test emails sent since that last service status announcement have bounced?

Just done a test email from my work address to the plus.net account and it's got through this time so, yes, it looks like I was in the batch of users moved when the problems arose (circa 20 Dec). Thanks anyway, Steven.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

host mx-postini.core.plus.net [64.18.4.11]: 554 No relaying allowed - psmtp

Anybody with that error was likely to have been affected by this.
I'd be interested to know if anybody has had the error since and if so whether the email was sent to their @plus.com etc. address or a domain on their account?
I can't remember exactly what the error is when Postini see's something as spam but it's another 5xx error that's more indicative of the problem (ie. a different descriptive error).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
I can't remember exactly what the error is when Postini see's something as spam but it's another 5xx error that's more indicative of the problem

I hate to tell you this but my tests so far indicate that spam is being dumped/blackholed rather than rejected Sad 
I can think of reasons why some of my recent tests may have resulted in this action but it's not good in general and I can see it causing problems for some customers. Any customer who could expect to receive 'support' type emails (primarily business customers but also private customers who draw the short straw for resolving other peoples problems !) along the lines of "What can I do to stop getting lots of spam like this: ..." will apparently not be getting most of them (if any) and the sender will not be aware the message wasn't delivered.  Any significant amount of information cut from a spammy message and pasted or attached to a genuine message appears to result (on most occasions) in that message NOT being delivered and NOT being rejected either despite the fact that it could and should have been.
Maybe it is inevitable that this scenario will be problematic with any spam filter but I don't see any excuse for not rejecting a message considered spammy whenever possible.  I do hope mail to the DSPAM report addresses isn't routed via postini because if it is then that could well explain the nose-dive in performance reported recently as spam reports are quite likely being blackholed by postini !
Why are postini apparently dumping rather than rejecting spam ?

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: mikeb
Why are postini apparently dumping rather than rejecting spam ?

mikeb, have you evidence of this and if so can you PM it to me or point me to the relevant posts? I have seen first hand 5xx errors due to spam blocking at the edge and have no reason to believe anything else is happening as a direct result of the Postini edge blocking?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Mike - I'd like to know how you are able to check this out.
The support type emails you describe are person to person emails and we've already been told that Plusnet's SLA with Postini is for 100% delivery of those.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mikeb
Rising Star

I have limited evidence but evidence all the same to indicate that dumping is most likely happening.  I'd like to get more data/evidence to support this but I feel that I need to be more than a bit careful here because my IP and/or A/C could end up blacklisted somewhere if I try too hard !
My reasoning is this: When I send a number of identical (or virtually identical) test messages by various means/routes to my test A/C and the ONLY route that appears to guarantee that the message is received is by sending it via mx-core/last then there are only 2 possible explanations IMHO:
(1) postini are dumping (some but not necessarily all) mail that they consider is spam rather than rejecting it.
(2) postini (or possibly PN) are losing customers mail in general.
I have absolutely no evidence so far to suggest that (2) is likely to be the case, therefore as some messages were not received and I did not receive a formal rejection (e.g. #55x: This message contains spam) either directly or indirectly then I conclude that (1) explains the situation ... unless someone else has an alternative option of course.
Re: SLA type comments in general: The test messages sent could/should have been considered 'person-to-person' as they were sent manually by me from one A/C to me at another A/C individually over a short(ish) period of time rather than en-masse. The fact that I did not receive some suggests that 100% delivery of person-to-person mail may not be being achieved. Similarly, if reports of forum notifications etc. being classified as spam are correct then too many of these false positives suggests that 0.0003% false positives may not be being achieved either.
PS: I'm not talking about dumping to prevent backscatter - i.e preventing a bounce being sent to an innocent party who has had their e-mail address faked in a spammy message. I am talking about messages considered as being spammy not apparently being refused/rejected at MX level.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
puposet

Postini has to be dumping my emails.
If dumping isn't happening it's odd that I haven't received any spam with Postini headers at all since 21/12, and prior to that I routinely received 50-100 a day since going on the trial on 12/12.
I've also definitely lost at least 4 genuine emails,  I haven't yet managed to trace any bounce messages, three were automatically generated copies of messages to websites, so any bounce messages would get black-holed, the fourth I am still investigating.  A couple have also got through.

Tim Jackson
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just checked my spam folders and only one spam message over  the last few days.
No spam received in my inbox
I wonder if the spammers are taking a Christmas break
Update,
Just checked the spam folders on another account - not on Postini and there is virtually no spam either over the last few days
pwebb
Grafter

Quote from: puposet
I've also definitely lost at least 4 genuine emails,  I haven't yet managed to trace any bounce messages, three were automatically generated copies of messages to websites, so any bounce messages would get black-holed, the fourth I am still investigating.  A couple have also got through.

As soon as you have any evidence of this can you please PM me so that I can investigate it as this is a concern.
Phi
jnwright
Grafter

The Storm Botnet started a new attack at around 00:00 today.  Although I am on the Postini trial I got one email within minutes of midnight.  It wasn't marked as spam so I sent the message source to the DSPAM checker at PlusNet and have seen no more occurrences.  I can't remember whether it came via Postini or not, but take care otherwise you may inadvertently join up!
peterp
Dabbler

I have just analysed my last weeks emails.  In summary, the first 3 days showed a transition to the current patterns, then over the last 4 days:
- I have received ZERO Spam messages in my inbox
- I have only received 11 Spam messages in my Spam box
- I am not aware of having completely lost any emails sent to me.
- On the other hand 10 out of my 30 HAM messages were actually marked [-SPAM-] by DSPAM and I had to move them to my Squirrel Inbox before they were downloaded.  All however were clearly identified as HAM by postini.  Some of the 10 were cryptic test messages, but others were real mail I was waiting for.
I judge the level of Spam being sent towards me my looking at my now near dormant btinternet account (I only use it to send test messages!).  This suggests that before the latest changes I was receiving slightly more Spam on PlusNet than on BTinternet.  Over the last 4 days BTinternet levels are substantially unchanged, but PlusNet levels are down to about 20% of BTinternet levels, suggesting that postini is sending 80%+ to the blackhole.
If anyone wants to see details of my analysis, download the updated Excel spreadsheet (NB - this now has 6 worksheets) from:
http://www.cvpages.plus.com/download/PlusNet/Postini-02.xls

Merry Xmas, and a Happy Spam Free 2008.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've just come across the lowest score ever for a notification email from these forums:
To: abc@xyz.plus.com
Subject: Topic reply: When will Plusnet tell people that they are behind a [proxy]?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 21:05:11 -0000
Message-ID: <d2338bbe29d80aa000920f869216d797-m478460@plus.net>
X-Mailer: SMF
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="SMF-29daf64d80a5cd1197fe21a7442c9057"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-pstn-neptune: 0/0/0.00/0
X-pstn-levels:    (S: 0.00078/92.57537 R:95.9108 P:95.9108 M:97.0282 C:98.6951 )
X-pstn-settings: 1 (0.1500:0.1500) gt3 gt2 gt1 r p m c
X-pstn-addresses: from <community@plus.net> [db-null]
X-pn-pstn: Spam 2
X-PN-VirusFiltered: by PlusNet MXCore (v2.00)
So much for the training Phil reckons happened!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pwebb
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
So much for the training Phil reckons happened!

I guess that it was just wishful thinking on my part!
I have been sending quite a few over to Postini to train the system so it may be the holidays have created a backlog as there will be reduced staffing.
I also have an open support case with Postini on this issue. They have made some suggestions so far and the case is still being worked.
Have a great Christmas.
Phil
puposet

Quote from: pwebb

As soon as you have any evidence of this can you please PM me so that I can investigate it as this is a concern.
Phi

What I have is on ticket ID: 23582569