Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postini Email Security Trial

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Postini Email Security Trial

I am aware of the problem but it was supposed to be being looked at so I just flagged up a new one.
Despite the Postini trial problems I am not going to ditch it as it will be rolled out to all users later this month and PlusNet need all the reports they can get to make it trouble free.
Another factor about using Postini is that it stops all the spam which used to be sent direct to mail servers such as mxlast - and there is a lot of that.
Tony_W
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Another factor about using Postini is that it stops all the spam which used to be sent direct to mail servers such as mxlast - and there is a lot of that.

I thought that the lack of spam via mxlast was because because you opted to not have it delivered to you. Huh
Surely that could have been done without having the Postini trial - if PlusNet have wanted to allow it.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

For hosted domains I think you can remove mx.last yourself.
I'm not sure about removal of mx.last for username.plus.com
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

For Postini it was relatively simple.
My DNS lookup now points to Postini and anything else coming into the PlusNet servers for me is blackholed.
If you don't have the Postini option I can't see how it would be possible.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm guessing that you are thinking of the fact that only the mx.core servers were behind Criticalpath, never mx.last - but as Critical path has been removed that doesn't apply. I don't think there is any difference now.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As I understand it the problem is that the spammers can and do send it directly to any of the PlusNet servers including mxlast and while you could block mxlast only this would only stop part of the flood and could easily catch regular mail that finished up on mxlast due to a server delay/problem
Tony_W
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
I'm not saying it can be done, but that's what the OP is asking for and it's worth checking if that's what he wants.

I'm not sure if the 'OP' is meant to be me. If so, I'm not asking for anything - I have my spam under control by redirecting to Gmail and forwarding back.
I don't have (or need) Postini and therefore DSPAM is working correctly with regard to the DSPAM factors. I am experiencing none of the other side effects, such as the false marking of forum posts or (possible) loss of important emails on the edge.
I have followed the forum posts about the trial as I understand that adoption is to happen no matter what. There certainly seems the be a split between the evangelistic posters and the downright hostile. I have no axe to grind either way, as long as the introduction is phased and carefully monitored.
cuke2u
Grafter

Hi, it seems that no e-mails are reaching my +net e-mail account. I've sent several test messages but none of them have arrived, all my other mail boxes seem to be ok it is just mine. I've raised a ticket, looks like I didn't recieve confirmation that I'm on the trial either, hoping it gets fixed real soon as this one is very important to me in my job...
Chris
Total_Chaos
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have been on Postini since day 1 and thought I wqould just indicate briefly what I have seen.  Note some of these have been raised with support, and are in the process of being rectified; I hope.
First few days spam went down to 8 marked as spam, plus a few getting through and caught by mailwasher free version
Within 14 days this had increased again and today the number marked spam must be reaching 600 plus, and approximately 50 getting through to my inbox.
My own domain, hosted by PN,  is/was being marked as Spam
My own domain e-mail when sent to another PN account was going through Postini, which would indicate that it is sent out of PN infrastructure to be received again.
Headers from external (to PN) e-mail, showed that not all was going through postini.  Much marked Spam had not taken the  postini route.
To get a clearer picture we could really  do with knowing what percentage  of spam is being caught by postini, and what percentage is being caught by Despam afterwards.  In my case 50 getting through to my inbox  is too much, and I would have thought that Postini would have caught a larger percentage; or has it and they are passed onto Despam for marking as Spam.  The problem is that when you have large quantities marked spam it's easy to miss the legitimate e-mail that has also been marked as spam.
I notice that more items that are legitimate are now being marked Spam.  (I do use the Despam not spam/spam facility) Good thing I kept the PN spam box going as if not I would ahve lost some important e-mails.
mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: pwebb
As previously requested, please provide any evidence to us so that we can investigate and resolve the issue. I am aware that some of the scores on the forum notifications are low and were working on that, and others you have send them over and we can look at them too.

As you already know, the sole reason I signed up to the trial on one specific A/C was to conduct tests for possible problems that could affect me when my main A/C gets switched over.  You can therefore be 100% certain of getting evidence when I have something that I believe provides proof beyond reasonable doubt that a problem exists.
I'm quite sure that you realise that getting irrefutable evidence when 3rd parties are involved is difficult at best and especially so when bounces/rejections are not necessarily being sent but I can assure you that there is a somewhat suspicious lack of certain messages being received via the postini service that are being received by my main A/C. I have a number of duplicated daily/weekly/monthly messages being sent to both A/Cs and so far some are conspicuous by their absence on the postini A/C. 
Of course, there could be 101 other reasons why they are apparently missing so after only a couple of weeks or thereabouts on postini I don't really have sufficient data to provide evidence beyond doubt ... but I will say that something somewhere isn't quite right and it is not entirely unreasonable to suggest that the probability of more than 1 organisation not sending messages is perhaps somewhat less than the probability of 1 organisation not receiving and/or delivering them !
I can confirm with 100% certainty (as I've just checked) that messages are alway rejected with a 5xx error and not quietly dumped.

And I can confirm with 100% certainty that postini are most definitely dumping rather than rejecting some (but not necessarily all) messages they consider as spam !!  When I send 'dubious' test messages DIRECT to the postini servers (i.e. not via the PN relay server) but they are NOT delivered to my PN A/C AND they are NOT rejected by postini either, what other possible explanation is there when this has happened on a repeatable basis ?  I get rejections in other circumstances (such as for an invalid destination etc.) but not when the message is being classified as spam.
There is no debate to be had - it is (or at least was because my tests were a week or so ago and I haven't tried again recently) a proven fact that postini were/are accepting but not delivering messages under certain circumstances.
What evidence do you want or expect to see ? I can provide message IDs of messages that could only be reliably delivered to my A/C by bypassing postini if you have access to detailed logs going back far enough to check what happened but other than that there is obviously nothing else. The fact that messages are clearly being accepted but not being delivered speaks for itself TBH.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Whoever the manager is for the Postini trial should surely on return from New Year break, provide an uptodate situation summary.
There seems to be a very great deal of confusion with regard to what is happening. There seems to be a deal of PlusNet ignoring that there are serious problems or not knowing what to do or say.
So far there has been nearly eleven thousand views of this blog. which seems to show an interest in the matter. I wonder how many have been by PlusNet staff. There is a danger that some customers who doubt the efficiency of PlusNet in this matter are in fact correct.
Is the situation being deliberately ignored. If so then someone must have issued instructions for problems to be left unanswered.
I wonder if my assumption is correct?? Yesterday (1st Jan 2008) I submitted a question (23763186) at 8.38 am regarding a problem with an email. When submitting it there was an indication that rreplies were taking about three and a half hours. So far my question has not had any reply at all. That question cannot have been lost can it?
I'm sorry if I'm a complaining old git, but someone fairly senior in PlusNet needs to get a firm grip, on what seems to be a totally confused b**** up. I'm not looking for heads to roll, but for someone to get the thing sorted out and fairly soon. Is there anyone out there? Where are you?
Oh by the way, Happy New Year!
pwebb
Grafter

Quote from: mikeb
As you already know, the sole reason I signed up to the trial on one specific A/C was to conduct tests for possible problems that could affect me when my main A/C gets switched over.  You can therefore be 100% certain of getting evidence when I have something that I believe provides proof beyond reasonable doubt that a problem exists.

Mike - I'm not saying that I don't believe that you have issues or indeed asking for you to be 100% sure, but I'd rather you let me know when you have any issues during the trial so that we can work on checking it out and providing you with an answer as to what is going on and prove between us if there are issues that could impact the full rollout.
Quote from: mikeb
And I can confirm with 100% certainty that postini are most definitely dumping rather than rejecting some (but not necessarily all) messages they consider as spam !!  When I send 'dubious' test messages DIRECT to the postini servers (i.e. not via the PN relay server) but they are NOT delivered to my PN A/C AND they are NOT rejected by postini either, what other possible explanation is there when this has happened on a repeatable basis ?  I get rejections in other circumstances (such as for an invalid destination etc.) but not when the message is being classified as spam.
There is no debate to be had - it is (or at least was because my tests were a week or so ago and I haven't tried again recently) a proven fact that postini were/are accepting but not delivering messages under certain circumstances.
What evidence do you want or expect to see ? I can provide message IDs of messages that could only be reliably delivered to my A/C by bypassing postini if you have access to detailed logs going back far enough to check what happened but other than that there is obviously nothing else. The fact that messages are clearly being accepted but not being delivered speaks for itself TBH.

If you can run the tests when you get a chance and provide the sample messages that you are trying, I'll get the guys here to try them and they can also look on the server logs for the messages here and we can work out what is happening here too.
Phil
pwebb
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Whoever the manager is for the Postini trial should surely on return from New Year break, provide an uptodate situation summary.
There seems to be a very great deal of confusion with regard to what is happening. There seems to be a deal of PlusNet ignoring that there are serious problems or not knowing what to do or say.

I may have missed them, but I don't think the thread has been ignored, nor questions ignored? Can you perhaps let me know what you think is missing and I'll be happy to get the answers.
Is the situation being deliberately ignored. If so then someone must have issued instructions for problems to be left unanswered.
I wonder if my assumption is correct?? Yesterday (1st Jan 2008) I submitted a question (23763186) at 8.38 am regarding a problem with an email. When submitting it there was an indication that rreplies were taking about three and a half hours. So far my question has not had any reply at all. That question cannot have been lost can it?

I've just looked at the question and see it was answered earlier this morning. There have been no instructions to anyone to ignore questions, it would make no sense for us to ignore possible issues with a system we are trialing.
The other thing to note from your ticket is that Postini correctly classified the message as Not spam, but dspam got it wrong and classified it as spam.
I'm sorry if I'm a complaining old git, but someone fairly senior in PlusNet needs to get a firm grip, on what seems to be a totally confused b**** up. I'm not looking for heads to roll, but for someone to get the thing sorted out and fairly soon. Is there anyone out there? Where are you?
Oh by the way, Happy New Year!

I'm not sure why you think we are making a mess of this, and what you think we need to sort? So far I've put a lot of my time into this, which I've done because I am keen that we resolve any and all issues before the full rollout.
Happy New Year to you too  Smiley
Phil
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Total
<snip>
Within 14 days this had increased again and today the number marked spam must be reaching 600 plus, and approximately 50 getting through to my inbox.
<snip>
My own domain e-mail when sent to another PN account was going through Postini, which would indicate that it is sent out of PN infrastructure to be received again.
Headers from external (to PN) e-mail, showed that not all was going through postini.  Much marked Spam had not taken the  postini route.
To get a clearer picture we could really  do with knowing what percentage  of spam is being caught by postini, and what percentage is being caught by Despam afterwards.  In my case 50 getting through to my inbox  is too much, and I would have thought that Postini would have caught a larger percentage; or has it and they are passed onto Despam for marking as Spam.  The problem is that when you have large quantities marked spam it's easy to miss the legitimate e-mail that has also been marked as spam.
I notice that more items that are legitimate are now being marked Spam.  (I do use the Despam not spam/spam facility) Good thing I kept the PN spam box going as if not I would ahve lost some important e-mails.

I assume you were not one of the Postini trialists who asked for mx.last and mx.core to reject mail sent direct to the old MX records? I've had that turned on and it has made a dramatic difference. When commenting upon the numbers of spam getting through you need to think in terms of just those that have come through Postini as the blocking of mx.core and mx.last will eventually be turned on for everyone.
DSPAM has gone totally pear-shaped in the last few weeks - I've turned it off as it was proving worse than useless. In fact the presence of the Postini headers seems to be totally confusing DSPAM and making it worse than ever (NB Postini scoring is not directly used in the marking of subjects as [-SPAM-]).
I now have rules based on the headers added by Postini - the identification of spam by Postini is proving remarkably accurate (with one notable exception - over half of notification emails from these forums are marked as spam).
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Phil,
I am just a very simple fellow, please can you tell me what happened to the email which notified me of your reply? Details follow.
Bob
X-Daemon-Classification: SPAM
Envelope-to: postmaster@milton373.plus.com
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 08:28:36 +0000
Received: from exprod5mx217.postini.com ([64.18.0.76] helo=psmtp.com)
  by pih-sunmxcore16.plus.net with smtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1J9yxm-0001pD-Je
  for postmaster@milton373.plus.com; Wed, 02 Jan 2008 08:28:35 +0000
Received: from source ([212.159.14.213]) (using TLSv1) by exprod5mx217.postini.com ([64.18.4.14]) with SMTP;
Wed, 02 Jan 2008 00:28:31 PST
Received: from [192.168.101.43] (helo=fhw-community04.plus.net)
by ptb-relay02.plus.net with esmtp (Exim) id 1J9yxi-0002Zs-OW
for postmaster@milton373.plus.com; Wed, 02 Jan 2008 08:28:30 +0000
Received: from www-data by fhw-community04.plus.net with local (Exim 4.63)
(envelope-from <www-data@fhw-community04.plus.net>)
id 1J9yxi-0000UB-Ld
for postmaster@milton373.plus.com; Wed, 02 Jan 2008 08:28:30 +0000
To: postmaster@milton373.plus.com
Subject: [-SPAM-] Topic reply: Postini Email Security Trial
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 08:28:30 -0000
Message-ID: <9c162a114a43c3da099c2c41edc949ac-m479918@plus.net>
X-Mailer: SMF
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="SMF-13de3991b435b2e212316ddecb476b00"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-pstn-neptune: 4/4/1.00/91
X-pstn-levels: (S: 0.28007/99.39258 R:95.9108 P:95.9108 M:97.0282 C:98.6951 )
X-pstn-settings: 1 (0.1500:0.1500) gt3 gt2 gt1 r p m c
X-pstn-addresses: from <community@plus.net> [db-null]
X-pn-pstn: Spam 2
X-PN-VirusFiltered: by PlusNet MXCore (v4.00)
X-DSPAM-Result: Spam
X-DSPAM-Processed: Wed Jan  2 08:28:36 2008
X-DSPAM-Confidence: 0.4946
X-DSPAM-Improbability: 1 in 99 chance of being ham
X-DSPAM-Probability: 1.0000
X-DSPAM-Factors: 15,
Received*www, 0.00126,
pwebb, 0.00325,
X-Mailer*SMF, 0.00745,
X-pstn-settings*(0.1500, 0.99097,
X-pstn-settings*1, 0.99097,
X-pstn-settings*0.1500), 0.99093,