cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post 21CN performance

Toenex
Grafter

Post 21CN performance

Until recently I was on the ADSL2+ trial and was averaging over 14Mbps downstream and 1.2Mbps upstream.  However since the trial ended I've been stuck at about 7Mbps/800Kbps, rates I was obtaining prior to the trial.  I've reset the router (netgear DG834Gv2 with latest DGTeam firmware) numerous times but always get back this rate. 
I've run RouterStats and checked the bits/tone and it is only showing the first 256 tones.  As I understand ADSL2+ uses 512, which suggests something isn't right.  I've attached the router stats and bits/tone graphs.
Have I been moved back onto ADSL1/2 since the trial ended?  I'm on the Pro package and assumed I'd continue to get the ADSL2+ rate.  What have others experienced since the trial ended?

8 REPLIES 8
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Post 21CN performance

ADSL2 uses 256 tones - the same as ordinary ADSL1

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Toenex
Grafter

I believe ADSL2+ uses 512 tones.  From wikipedia...
ADSL2+ is capable of doubling the frequency band of typical ADSL connections from 1.1 MHz to 2.2 MHz. This doubles the downstream data rates of the previous ADSL2 standard (which was up to 12 Mbit/s), but like the previous standards will degrade from its peak bitrate after a certain distance.

My concern is indeed that my connection is reporting 256 tones, suggestive of ADSL2 and not ADSL2+
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You are definitely on ADSL MAX - or possibly on ADSL2 but definitely not ADSL2+.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ramidoodle
Grafter

Hi, running a TAM test in your line indicates that the modem (Vendor: Texas Instruments) at your exchange is using ADSL2+ only.
Toenex
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for that.  So I guess this means the protocol is ADSL2+.  Could banding be the problem?
Since the summer OpenReach have been installing FTTC from our exchange and digging up every inch road.  I wonder if they have knackered some of the copper along the way.
-tony
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
You're on a banded profile of 4-9MB, You can see more about this here.
Toenex
Grafter

HI Mand
I've left my router on and stable now for 3 days with no drop outs.  Any chance you could reset my banding to see how we go?
-tony
bluewhale
Rising Star

just to chip in here, i've had and i reckon many others this same sequence of events
ie good speeds at the start of the trial and then post it going live things have gone horribly wrong
eg 2 days ago i was synced at 9m, but btw profile at 3.5 and plusnet profile at 12m
clearly there is a big software problem with the dlm post live and i reckon that will be post some configs/software version updates
i'm still waiting on plusnet to tell us what is going on, deja vue with the max upgrades....