Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly on wrong cabinet (FTTC)

jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Possibly on wrong cabinet (FTTC)

Not sure where to put this but i am suspecting that i am on the wrong cabinet for FTTC local cabinet is at the end of my one the one that i should be on and know i used to be on back when i had adsl service now upon doing some checking and searching for the cabinet im currently connected too it appears to be a distance away but checking with neighbours who have internet service they checked with the bt wholesale checker and it shows they are all on cabinet 14 where as im on cabinet 7 what i am not sure of is how i've ended up on this one when the nearest one is at the bottom of my road unless BT have switch my line for someone else's i just don't know . I am sure someone else posted about this but cannot seem to track down that thread.
14 REPLIES 14
bradw
Grafter

Re: Possibly on wrong cabinet (FTTC)

My understanding of this is that you won't always be on the closest cabinet, just the one they put you on at the time and it would cost you a lot to switch your line to a closer one. Could be lack of capacity at a cabinet or some other reason, but I don't think you'll get moved without paying.
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

If the cost was reasonable enough i'd be more than happy to pay to have it moved but i don't have any idea on what the costs would be.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

A new line will cost you £49.99.
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

That is a lot cheaper than i thought it would be i was expecting a figure of somewhere in the region of £200+ but if its £49-99 then i think i may just go for that .
itsme
Grafter

Are both cabinets on the same exchange?
Is the cable coming into your house overhead or underground?
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: itsme
Are both cabinets on the same exchange?
Is the cable coming into your house overhead or underground?
Both cabinets are on the same exchange and all cables on this exchange are all in underground ducts.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

As I understand it, a "new" line would just use a spare pair on the cable serving your street/area -that will come from the same cab. as you are currently on . Asuming that you cancel your existing line and go for a new line ,they could even use the same pair!!
.I'm no expert but I don't think there is any way to "force" Openreach to pull a new cable thru from a different cab, even for megabucks!!.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

A lot depends on the individual engineer. Before I converted to fibre I was having connection problems for which I raised a fault with Plusnet. The following morning the BT eng. arrived having already been to my cabinet. He told me that I was on the worst of the 3 cables which connected my cabinet's eastside to the exchange. He thought that the good cable was full but he'd visit the exchange, just in case. He called me 30 minutes later to say that he'd found one & he had now connected me to it. This more than doubled my ADSL speed.
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

Maybe someone from plusnet could answer this better. would it be possible to be moved onto the nearest cabinet to me as if it was done as a new line ?
itsme
Grafter

The question I ask was whether the cable into the house is underground. If it is and there are no telegraph poles used to connect the houses to the street cabinets than it's very unlikely that you could be switched to a different cabinet.
It the houses are fed by telegraph poles then it's probably unlikely they would switch you.
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: itsme
The question I ask was whether the cable into the house is underground. If it is and there are no telegraph poles used to connect the houses to the street cabinets than it's very unlikely that you could be switched to a different cabinet.
It the houses are fed by telegraph poles then it's probably unlikely they would switch you.
all the cables are underground including the cable to my property.
deathtrap
Grafter

My take on this would be no, as it's not something that BT Openreach would normally do , The FTTC  cab that you are connected to is dependant on  the PCP  that it connects to,Your D'side pair will run from your house to that PCP, within a cable bundle
Changing the Mapping  of  1 D'side  pair would involve a lot of work,as they would have to possibly dig up footpaths,and roads even ,put ducting in and run a new cable for just you
Also  there are a lot of D'side cables  that aren't in ducting but are buried just below the paving flags in the soil and if BT openreach agreed to do this work it would cost you more than what they are quoting for FOD Fibre on Demand , So it wouldn't be really viable to you , Better waiting and getting FOD  if you want a really fast connection  go Full fibre
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: deathtrap
My take on this would be no, as it's not something that BT Openreach would normally do , The FTTC  cab that you are connected to is dependant on  the PCP  that it connects to, Changing the Mapping  of  1 D'side  pair would involve a lot of work, as there are a lot of D'side cables  that aren't in ducting but are buried just below the paving flags and if BT openreach agreed to do this work it would cost you more than what they are quoting for FOD Fibre on Demand , So it wouldn't be really viable to you , Better waiting and getting FOD  if you want a really fast connection  go Full fibre
From what an openreach engineer told me a few weeks back FOD won't be available in my area .
deathtrap
Grafter

If you  can get FTTC  then once they roll it out on a national scale it will be available to everyone, currently it's only available in a few areas